New 140 gallon need help! Fresh build

JD1979

Does anybody on here have any pics or advice on how to plumb my tank and ideas on the wet/dry system I should use? this will be live rock and fish only tank. So my question is the setup with the overflow do I go high or low with the drain into the sump? Do I use a quiet betty? Do I build my own sump or go with a $250 prebuilt from local builder that has bio balls? Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

lmforbis

I like to build my own sump, much cheaper and you can configure it to fit your equipment. No bioballs, I do have rock rubble and a marine pure block in my refugium chamber of my sump. I’d like to have macro algae in my refugium but it just dies. I haven’t figured that one out yet.
I like it simple. I like to have ay least one union near the tank with a ball valve above the Union for each pipe. I have dual over flows so that is 4 pipes between the tank and the sump for me. The ball valve is so I can isolate the tank from the sump for maintenance or if there is a problem. Otherwise they are always open. The drain I take straight to the sump. I don’t use filter socks unless I need to filter something specific out of the water. They are just too much work. I put a good quality gate valve on the return lines to control the return flow.

silverado61

If I may jump in here. Here is the design I'm going to use when I rebuild my invert setup. I'm not using a gate or ball valve because my return pump has a 6 stage variable speed and I'm using a flexible return line to minimize resistance.

sump-design-diagram-gmacreef-1024x554.jpg