New 3-4 gallon nano reef

CarlL

Hi, I just started by very first nano reef. It's approximately 3-4 gallons and it currently cycling with some live rock and live sand. I was hoping to get some peoples input on a good light to get for it as well as some corals and maybe a good fish. Really any advise from experienced nano reefers would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

flower

Hi,

Just want to say welcome to the site.... I'm not brave enough for a tank that size...10g is the smallest I ever kept. Lighting will depend on the corals you desire to keep.... I know the LED lights are pretty good, and for such a small tank it won't cost an arm and leg. They give off no heat, which would be an important thing to be concerned about.

candaceswf

Administrator
Welcome to the Saltwaterfish Forum! I have a nano (recently had to break it down due to a hydroid out break unfortunately). I hadn't gotten my lights yet, but I am planning on getting the ecoxotic panorama pro's 1 x 8K white and 1 x royal blue 12.5 inches. They have a few different options for colors: 8K white, 12K white, white w/ blue, white w/ magenta, etc. With these lights you would be able to keep any kind of coral. As for fish, a nano favorite is the yellow watchman goby, but there's also the rainford's goby, hectors goby, clown goby.. pretty much anything that stays small. And I would only pick one for that size tank.

bang guy

Thanks for all your suggestions. Would this tank be too small for a mini maxi carpet anemone?
Nope, Stichodactyla tapetum would work well in that tank.

I would advise against having a fish though. Mysid Shrimp would be very entertaining in a tank like that instead of a fish.

CarlL

Thanks. Yea I don't think I am going to put and fish in it. Probably the mini carpet anemone and some sexy shrimp. Possibly a snail or two and some corals.

socalnano24

That sounds good. I kept a 5.5 pico w a firefish in it for about a year, even w a mini skimmer the system was too small to properly maintain the water and eventually got cyano and I broke it down.

I think your idea of sexy shrimp will work, I had two in mine.

snakeblitz33

I have a 2.5g on auto pilot. It runs by an air pump and an algae scrubber. Does pretty well, but I would change a few things if I had to do it again.

Do water changes, avoid temp, pH and salinity swings and you'll be fine.