New 36 gallon bow front.

So I have a question for you guys. And please forgive me. I'm kind of second guessing the 40 gallon. As a beginner should I start out with something smaller? Since I have this 10 gallon sitting around. Should I start with something like that? Just to see if I can do this?

jay0705

You only want to keep fish correct? If so you do not need a skimmer. Any well maintained power filter will do the job

Well then I guess it's a good thing I'm not going to be having any tangs in there then. Unless I get a baby baby hippo tang. And yes I know it's not meant for that size tank. No worries.

jay0705

Well then I guess it's a good thing I'm not going to be having any tangs in there then. Unless I get a baby baby hippo tang. And yes I know it's not meant for that size tank. No worries.
Small hippos have a horrible survival record. They grow like weeds too. Great fish but meant for big tanks

lmforbis

http://www.**************.com/video/view/brstv-investigates-do-refugiums-work/?trk_msg=7F3AUPSLG2BKFD3KT10RP1QFNK&trk_contact=EJI8MAIAKIDR9A4O8T9ECTKQIO&trk_sid=8I9H1229PKDM0QRSUUF6838G7C&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=http://www.**************.com/video/view/brstv-investigates-do-refugiums-work/&utm_campaign=brstv&utm_content=brstv_031717

I don't know about the survival rate of small hippos. But I know about the fast growth. I got a yellow belly hippo tang by mistake in an online order. It was about the size of a dime and had almost no color. I put it through my normal QT process never expecting it to make it. I added her to my 125 a month later. That tiny little fish held her own and used every inch of the 6 foot tank. Now a year later she is already around 3 inches long.

That was a very informative video. Thank you for posting that. As far as the hippo. That sucks. So now I've gotta rethink the thoughts here. I was also thinking about a dwarf angel. Like the flame angel or some other that will be ok with a 40

lmforbis

One dwarf angle should be fine. They sometimes nip at corals so if you see coral in your future it is something to consider. My flame is great, never touches anything he shouldn't but I hear that can change at any time.
If you are looking for the blue color the coral beauty is a great choice. My favorite is the bicolor angel. I have never had good luck with them though.

The coral beauty is gorgeous. I think that's the one my wife wife wants and being an angel fish I believe I can only have one. And corals are def not in my future. That's a lot more time and a hell of a lot more money then I really want to spend. At any point lol.