New 75 Gallon with Sump

HeathS

I just picked up a 75 Gallon tank with stand, Viparspectra light, sump, return pump, Berlin protein skimmer, magnetic powerhead, two wave makers, heater, some smaller accessories and over 100 lbs of live rock for $200! I'm new to having a sump so here's my question. The gentleman I bought it off of said to put some live rock in the boxed area of the sump and the protein skimmer on the other side. This is all I do? I've been reading that this is a great way for filtration but I want to make sure that I'm getting opinions as well. I'm coming from a 40 gallon with a skimmer and canister filter to something I've not dealt with. I asked him about bio balls and he said hell no! That's old school...lol! Any opinion is appreciated.

lmforbis

That is what I do. I have small chunks of rock. I also have macro algae in the center compartment.

HeathS

There are only two compartments. I plan on placing the skimmer in the other compartment once I get a pump for it.
But just using live rock in the skimmer makes for good filtration?

HeathS

Area for the live rock won't support both the rock and the skimmer. But I do have it figured out that I can put the skimmer on the end. Was thinking of putting bio balls around the skimmer just for an added measure. What are your thoughts?

lmforbis

No bio balls. Biopure balls work well, bioballs just don’t get you much. The reason for rock rubble is not the aerobic bacteria on the outside of the rock but the anaerobic bacteria inside the rock. Biopure has an ******** that will allow the anaerobic bacteria to live similar to rock rubble, bioballs don’t have that. Keep in mind you will need to be able to remove the skimmer for cleaning. Most skimmers need to be in 6-7” of water to work properly. You can build a shelf with egg crate and PVC pipe that fits in the compartment to elevate the skimmer and put rock rubble under it. You can also put it in a mesh bag that allows you to pull it out if necessary. You could also, depending, on the space in the sump, add another chamber.

HeathS

I can post a pic but I want it to look a little cleaner that what it is. I just got it and am still setting it up.

HeathS

Sorry for the cloudy, nasty looking water. Still making the RODI water so it's a bit time consuming when it takes an hour to make a 5 gallon bucket. I might be cycling water by tonight...lol. I still have to hook the cables to the viparspectra light and hang it, paint the egg crate lid so it matches and find a pump for the Berlin protein skimmer.

Attachments

lmforbis

It looks like your drain line from the tank is on the right with the big chunk of rock? The return pump would be on the left correct? Can you give me a rough idea how wide the two chambers are? It looks like a home made sump. I like those best because you can customize them how ever you like.

silverado61

Don't paint the eggcrate. Any salt splash will cause the paint to peel and flake off into the water. I just deal with it not matching.