New and Afraid

spycat500

I have had multiple fresh water tanks before but I would like to start a SW tank. I have been looking at a 75 gallon fish tank with a 10 gallon QT tank. I am confused on what to do because I was told many different things from different sources. Are sumps actually good? I haven’t bought anything yet but I will list the items I have in my list:
Red Sea nitrate/nitrite test kit
Two 150 watt heaters
Two 530 GPH power heads
NICREW 36-48 inch led light
Fritz Aquatics marine salt
0-10% salinity refractometer
110v hanging filter

Am I missing anything or have anything wrong or don’t need? Please be harsh I’m a noob at this. I don’t know what sources to trust so I’ll go with this.

spycat500

I was also saw that I need to cycle a tank for 6 weeks then QT a fish for 30 days for each fish starting with the least aggressive. What do I need to cycle? Are there any reliable books out there that you would recommend?

beaslbob

I recommend you start your tank with a macro algae refugium then do the rest. That way you will start out the system balanced and stabilized by the algae.

FWIW when cycling a tank common inexpensive mollies can be easily acclimated to saltwater. I just add one and not add food for a week.

my .02

spycat500

I recommend you start your tank with a macro algae refugium then do the rest. That way you will start out the system balanced and stabilized by the algae.

FWIW when cycling a tank common inexpensive mollies can be easily acclimated to saltwater. I just add one and not add food for a week.

my .02
Where are some good places to get macro algae and do I need good lighting for it?

beaslbob

Where are some good places to get macro algae and do I need good lighting for it?
IMHO the best source is local hobbiests who may be tossing out a lot every month. I believe Saltwater fish has. some. try a google search for macro algae as well.

In our refugium I use cheapie 30-50 (actual) watts led red/blue grow lamps. Last time I ordered a few years ago, about $20 or so.

my .02

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, don't start until you feel secure. And you will know when that is--after you've done enough research to know what you want to set up and have a reasonable understanding on how to do it. As for QT, I'd recommend a 20gal Long min. A good starter reference book would be what I'd suggest and use what's on the internet as well. When somebody tells you something, use the internet to confirm what you've been told or to see about alternatives. Learn the various types of system setups so you can decide what is best for you. Research the quality of the equipment and make choices that are compatible for the animals you want to keep; such not placing predatory fish in with small fish, or purchasing clownfish that are not mated, etc.