New Aquarist interested in advice / suggestions for a SW Predator Tank

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewolverine http:///t/395420/new-aquarist-interested-in-advice-suggestions-for-a-sw-predator-tank/20#post_3520599
Sadly ive had to back out of the purchase as the total weight was too high for the 2nd floor of my condo...im now looking at a 75g-90g and doing a species only with the Fimbriated Moray Eel...thoughts?
Thanks,
-Mike
Hi,
If your floor can't hold up the 125g, I don't see it holding up a 90g either....the difference is only 35g of water. That's equal to a trash can full of water, which really isn't much. The 125g tank is spread out over 6 foot, and the 90g on 4 feet. So actually inch per inch isn't the 90g actually heaver on the floor then the 125g? You don't have to have so much rock, and a 1 inch sand bed is just fine. Lowering the amount of those two items would drop the weight as well.
I'm sure the professors could chime in a give you a better understanding, LOL...or tell me if I'm crazy.

I

intdes

I looked in my codes books after reading Flowers response and her point is valid. Most residential floors are built to withstand loads of 40 psf. A 90g over a 4' span compared to a 125g over a 6' span both require about 80 psf load. To find what your floor is rated for, you have a few options. The management for the condo might have the information for the floor rating, but not always. A consult from a structural engineer would be your best bet as they could tell from the blueprints, which should be available from condo management. If you know what building company built the condo, it would also be a place to start as they will have the blueprints on file and someone there who can read them. Good luck with the tank!

jay0705

Lol this poor guy. All he wanted to do was try sw lol now he has to watch weights and all that stuff. Honestly the work is worth it. Once you get it figured out it will all fall in place. With the rock,sweater brings up a good point. A mix of base and lr is a good cost effective method. My biggest piece of rock was base. After about 2 months its growing nice purple algae.I haven't looked at the area you live in but in my area wny good rock is about 7.99 @ lb. Base was 4.49@lb. Prices can vary tho depending on the quality of rock. The lfs I get my good rock from. Got a shipment of purple reef rock. Nice rt? No its painted purple lol I guess reefers use it to put corals and such on. Shop around and see what's avb in your area.

M

mikewolverine

Sorry for the confusion, i meant to say a 75g nit a 90g. I know the weight in some ways seems negligible in terms of psf difference, but going safer is all. And now being a species only, a 75g will be great for a single moray.

M

mikewolverine

Also the 125g setup had a 65g sump tank and a 65g reserve tank for automated top ups, which was the real issue...
Im doing more research on weight and size before buying...finding this is becoming frustrating as hell already...

jay0705

Ha ha ha get a 75,stand,hob filter, lr,good heater, maybe a powerhead and your good. Also sand then u should b set. If you build up slowly its not that bad.

M

mikewolverine

Im inquiring with my townhouse developer tomorrow to get some hard facts about the floor, subfloor, and joists. Id still love a 125g if possible...but worst case scenario, my understanding is a 75g can pretty much go anywhere...

jay0705

I don't blame u. Iam moving in a few wks and once we get settled iam hoping to get a 150. However the 75 is still staying and they do make for a nice sw set up.

M

mikewolverine

Im still doing the research as my new place has engineered i-joists at 16". My tank location would be against a load bearing divide wall between townhouse units with a load wall at each end, so ill see what the developer suggests sometime tomorrow. Anyone used the Tampa Bay Saltwater company for LR? Thoughts?

M

mikewolverine

Does anyone think a 75g is too small for a 30" fimbriated moray eel?

jay0705

It varies. Most people say eels don't need alot of room.since this is the only fish u want to keep in your tank I'd say your fine. Unless this type of eel is very active and needs more room.

S

saxman

One thing you might consider is a "long" tank as opposed to a std. size, esp. is you're looking to keep an eel, which don't require much in the way of tank height. To reduce weight further, look into an acrylic tank, which is both more optically clear than std. float glass as well as a lot lighter. If you can't find a tank you like, have one made to your specifications...you'll be a lot happier with the right setup. A sump is definitely the way to go as you can put all your ugly equipment there (heater, skimmer, etc). You should be looking to turn your water volume over at least about 10x per hour in a FO setup, so for a 75 gal, you're looking at about a 750 gph return pump, assuming you have minimal head loss from your plumbing.
For an eel, LR and some #3 or #1 grade aragonite substrate will be your aquascaping. Be sure to sit the LR on the tank bottom before you add the substrate, or you may end up with a squished fimby. Obviously, you'll want to scape in some caves and nooks for the eel to live in.
You're correct in that fimbies are pretty serious piscivores...and the trouble isn't so much tank size to keep any other fish safer from its habits, but that morays forage about after dark, and have no qualms about eating a sleeping fish if they find one.
You don't need crazy lighting for a FOWLR setup...in fact, you can use NO fluorescents. For an eel setup, I'd be sure that besides a daylight (I like 10k K), you'll want to run 03 actinic lighting on a separate switch for a dawn/dusk effect, and your eel will likely spend more time out under the actinics. You may even want to get/make some LED moonlights so you can see the eel at night. The reason I mentioned lighting is the last "package" you found has crazy-bright/heat-producing lighting that is geared to keep corals alive. It will cost more to run such lighting as well.
You could keep medium-bodied lions in a 75 gal with no trouble, but large angels, puffers, and "reef triggers" (e.g. non-planktonic feeders) don't play well with lionfish, nor is a 75 large enuff to keep them.
HTH

jay0705

Your welcome. This forum is very helpful in alot of ways. Lfs are nice but they r a business trying to make money. On here most info is first hand and in good faith.

M

mikewolverine

I seem to be lucky LFS wise as the 3 places closest to me seem very honest knowledgable and helpful...

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewolverine http:///t/395420/new-aquarist-interested-in-advice-suggestions-for-a-sw-predator-tank/40#post_3520891
I seem to be lucky LFS wise as the 3 places closest to me seem very honest knowledgable and helpful...
What makes this site so great, is that many folks chime in, and you get lots of opinions to work with. There are always different ways to do anything when it comes to a SW tanks, that allows us to be able to select the method that works best for us.
I support the LFS, and I go there with a certain idea of what I'm looking for...when it comes to advice on what to do or what to get, I come here. Often the LFS will order what I'm looking for, saving me on the shipping price...for that certain fish/coral I want.

bberr76

Your 75 will be fine. Like others said filtration and proper tank mates are key. Honestly I would skip any puffers ( super messy). Lions also can be problematic. I have two Dragon morays in a 125 with crabs, shrimp and damsels.