New Build (75 gallon)

mscenter14

well i just recently moved into my new house! I have a 75gallon tank that i would like to make into a saltwater aquarium. A friend of mine also gave me a reverse osmosis unit with extra filters, and octopus protein skimmer, like a 5-10gallon hob refugium, and about 50lbs of dried rock.. If possible i would like some input in what direction i should go from here! I would like to get a mix of inverts, fish and corals (nothing to crazy)... please let me know, thank you!

jay0705

A 75 is a good start. If you want coral a good lighting system is needed so do your homework on that. You will want a sand substrate, not crushed coral. You will want a few lbs of live rock to help seed your base rock

Jesterrace

It's a good size tank and will give you quite a few options with what you put in there. Generally the recommended ratio is 1lb of dry/live rock per gallon of tank (provided you want to maintain good filtration). The biggest thing I can tell you is that it will require some serious patience (ie 30-60 days of no fish, inverts, corals, etc. while your tank cycles). The cycle isn't done until your brown algae bloom comes and goes (usually you add crabs and snails when it is in full swing to help keep it from getting completely out of control), it's not just about getting your Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites to 0. Also is the tank new?

mscenter14

Yea the tank is brand new I bought it before I moved out but never ended up having the time with everything going on. I have been doing some research and I think I def want to go in the direction of a full reef. As far as corals go I'd like mostly softies,mushrooms and things like that. Should I use the hang on back Refugium? If so what should I put in it. Also can you have too much love rock? Was gonna order another 50lbs that way I can pick and choose what dry rock I want to use

silverado61

Check and see if you have a local saltwater fish store. You might be surprised to find one. That way you can really hand pick your own dry rock. Or check craigslist to see if anyone locally is selling their rock or dry coral. That's what I'm doing and I'm picking up some beautiful pieces at some awesome prices.

Make sure your tank is well established before you start adding live coral.

mscenter14

actually i was given about 50lbs of dry rock, so i figured if i order 40-50lbss of live rock ill be alright? And yes coral is going to be down the road, however i want to pre-plan and have all the fish/inverts i get be compatible with coral.

lagatbezan

Once the tank gets running and cycled all the dead rock will eventually turn into live rock. Starting with live rock will just kickstart it much faster, same with live sand.
You don't want to have too much rocks where there is no room for the fish to swim.
My advice: Go slow, be patient, do a lot of reading and quarantine; key for a successful long term healthy tank

mscenter14

Well I'm about to order my sand,salt,test kit,and a couple power heads. First question what power heads would work best in 75gallon? Also I plan on mixing the salt and ro/di water in the tank itself. Should I add the sand first or after the tank is filled?

silverado61

Arrange the base rock first then add the sand, then the water. If you want to minimize the cloudiness when you add the water try this: Put a dinner plate on the sand and pour the water, pitcher by pitcher, on the plate till the tank is about 1/3 full. Then slowly pour the rest of the water in, still using the plate. It's a little old school but it works.
If you want to add the salt directly to the tank, again, slowly pour the salt in cup by cup. You don't want any salt to hit the bottom of the tank because it'll take longer to dissolve. Make sure the power heads are running. For a 75g add about 35 cups to allow for the displacement of the sand and rock. Let it mix till the cloudiness from the sand is gone then test the salinity of the water. Then add salt, slowly, a half a cup at a time, letting it mix, till you reach the desired salinity.

Just a thought.

Last edited:

silverado61

Personally, I wouldn't do the water and salt that way though. The ro water would probably kill all the good stuff in the sand without having the salt in it first.

beaslbob

I would start the tank with macro algae then do the rest.

In a refugium for sure but that can even be just an in tank partition (I used egg crate) to separate the macros from the livestock.

the macros will consume ammonia first the nitrates for nitrogen, while consuming co2 and returning oxygen. Makes for a stable healthy environment.

my .02

Jesterrace

Well I'm about to order my sand,salt,test kit,and a couple power heads. First question what power heads would work best in 75gallon? Also I plan on mixing the salt and ro/di water in the tank itself. Should I add the sand first or after the tank is filled?
1-2 Koralia Hydor Powerheads would be the best bang for your buck. I have a 1950gph in my 36 and it is plenty. They have models that go all the way up to 2450gph. As for the Sand definitely add it before the water or you will have a cloudy mess of a tank for a week and sand deposits every where you don't want them (ie covering your live rock).

mscenter14

i ordered 2 koralia evolution, 1150gph.. has anyone used their smart wave controller? i order one of those also figured i would give it a shot

mscenter14

also starting to think of a stock list, i for sure want a pair of clowns, a cleaner shrimp, and if possible some kind of tang

2quills

I've used the smart wave controller but I really didn't like it. The noise korallia pumps make when they first start up is kind of loud. The constant in/off switching of the controller got on my nerves lol.

But I've never had issues with the pumps themselves. For the price they are pretty reliable.

mscenter14

the good thing is the tank is located in my basement, i just finished it and made a spot for the tank. so I'm not overly concerned about the noise. i read a lot of good reviews on it. we shall see how it works

Jesterrace

i ordered 2 koralia evolution, 1150gph.. has anyone used their smart wave controller? i order one of those also figured i would give it a shot
Honestly the Wave Maker is unnecessary. A constant good flow (which the Koralias will provide) will be fine.

Jesterrace

also starting to think of a stock list, i for sure want a pair of clowns, a cleaner shrimp, and if possible some kind of tang
Go with either one of the Ocellaris or Percula Captive bred varieties for clownfish as they are less aggressive than the Maroon, Cinnamon or the dreaded Tomato Clown. Can't tell you how many of the last three I have seen in solitary quarantine tanks at my LFS that were returned by people who had to remove them due to their aggression. All clowns are territorial and semi-aggressive (I don't care what the various websites say) but the Occ and Percula varieties are generally more mild. Your tank is on the smaller side for a Tang but a Kole Yellow Eye Tang or one of the small Bristletooth varieties should work (ie Tomini, Squaretail, Two Spot or White Tail). If you have any illusions about a Dory (aka Blue Tang) forget it as they get a foot long, are tall and require a 6-8 foot long tank. The cleaner shrimp will be fine in pretty much any size tank (I have one in my 36 gallon), just be aware that as you look at your stock options that some fish will be prone to eating them, so be sure you research that before getting the shrimp.