New Duncan

paintballer768

Just got my hands on an ORA strain duncan, only 1 head for $30. Beautiful coral. My question is what kind of flow do these usually do best in? Ive got it midtank under a 150 watt MH in a 24 gallon. Hes been in for about 30 minutes and is already halfway open, but the flow there is from a powerhead refracted off of a nearby wall, so not too sure how he'll like it.

petjunkie

Mine's not ORA but it doesn't really seem to care, I think they look better in low flow because higher flow all you see is tentacles waving and no green middle, mine are in a bad spot now where they aren't very cool to look at.

paintballer768

This was 40 minutes into the tank, and its completely opened now, and I fed it some mysis and its looking pretty happy. Mines in a moderate flow area and it looks pretty happy

mr_x

medium flow, i would say. here's a pic of one of my colonies. after moving them around quite a bit, they seem to like to be gently blown but not in a psunami-

veni vidi vici

I am waiting patiently...My LFS has a few colonies of 30+ heads each piece,needless to say im not willing to part with that much dinero .He has promised me a frag with a few heads shortly.

spiderwoman

If I were you, I'd put the Duncan all the way to the bottom. I have mine in a 24inch deep tank under indirect light of 150W MH in a medium flow.
Here's a pick of my little ORA Duncan that has now turned into a colony.

paintballer768

Nice duncans everyone. Mine had longer tentacles today, which tells me its getting more acclimated. Going to feed it mysis tomorrow so I hope to stimulate some growth.

rs1831

This picture is about a month old or so and its much bigger now. I spot feed it 2-3 times a week and then I just watch it grow.

texasmetal

Mr. X, GORGEOUS picture, and good advice.
Anyone elses Duncan's as big around as a soda can? I have a few heads and the one that gets the most light is ginormous. The other one has 3 more sprouting out of it and it's about as big around as a 50 cent piece. I was told only the ORA's get that big, but mine is straight from Australia.
Pic's from a few months ago. I don't feed them as often as I should, hard to do because of the octo-proofing on my tank.

mr_x

thanks texas! mine are about the size of a quarter. straight from austrailia, or a by way of a pit stop in a wholesalers tank, i think we are all getting them from the same place.

spiderwoman

Now all my 3 different mini colonies have tendencies to open up really large. Still the ORA one is by far the largest and nicest. Gotta love Duncan's!

texasmetal

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2695856
Now all my 3 different mini colonies have tendencies to open up really large. Still the ORA one is by far the largest and nicest. Gotta love Duncan's!
Mine are as big as I was told ORA's get, and they are not ORA. They are wild.

texasmetal

No, they are a deep water coral and do very well with less light, though after adjusting they can tolerate more intense lighting.

paintballer768

Update on mine. Ive fed it mysis the last few days, skipped it yesterday and fed it today. It looks absolutely AMAZING! I love it so much, cant wait to see it become a large colony.

I think some or ORA stuff is OVERRATED. I have alot of wild corals and they do fine in the tank. Grow well and show good color. ORA may have the pick of the litter but paying $80 for quarter inch is not my thing. JMO. By the way the duncans look great.