New guy

Discussion in 'Aggressive Fish' started by howard1818, May 2, 2017.

1. howard1818

howard1818 New Member

Hi, new here and looking to set up my first tank, I am looking at a 36x24x24 planet aquarium tank to start. I would like a lionfish and then see what will fit with it. I have sump, skimmer, pump recommendation from my LFS. should be around 90 gallons. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. jay0705

jay0705 Administrator Staff Member

Try a dwarf lion. You can keep more with them as opposed to volitans

howard1818 likes this.
  3. howard1818

howard1818 New Member

was thinking of that or a radiata if I can find one

4. jay0705

Those are very nice looking aswell. A lfs by me has 2. If you ask i bet a store could get you one. There not cheap tho

5. lmforbis

lmforbis Administrator Staff Member

As long as you stick to the small species they'll be fine. I once saw a pic of a beautiful reef tank with only small lions. It was a 40 gallon which is smaller. Lions don't need a ton of swimming space. You need to pick their tank mates carefully. I've heard puffers will nip at their fins. Small fish may become dinner.

6. jay0705

My dwarf is kept with a marron clown, damsel and sharpnose puffer. I never notice any spine nipping. But each fish is diff

7. lmforbis

Your fish are well fed Jay, they don't need to work for their dinner

8. lmforbis

I think the problem is the porcupines, dog faced and other similar puffers.

9. jay0705

Lazy is the correct term. All the fish tho would be a huge meal. The maroon is only slightly smaller then him. I wouldn't try a slender fish tho. Like a fire or gramma