New(ish) Hobbyist

Adam JC

Hello,

I've been involved with both fresh and salt water tanks for a few years off and on. I've had tanks up to 70 gallons and kept them for a few years. Recently, I got a new job and will be moving/building a new house. I also finally have the $$$ to do everything the correct way. I plan to start a saltwater reef aquarium from the ground up. I guess what I need from you guys is an extensive list of the products you would suggest, including sizes. I know bigger is better, but what is an appropriate size aquarium to be very happy with the results and not need to buy a larger one later? 250-300 gallons? I really want to purchase quality equipment and do this once the right way to set up an ecosystem that will be healthy and have longevity.

Thank you for your help!

Luanne

Well if I as you , l get the biggest tank you can afford , seems like the really cool fish seem to have to have a bigger tank. I would get a in home ro water filter set up. that way you can make your own saltwater. Be sure to cycle your tank before you add any fish. Get some live rock and live sand to help it cycle. Get a clown fish to be your ginny pig. then take your time adding more fish.. test often,, and keep some made up salt water for any water changes you might need to do. Good luck to you.

beaslbob

Bigger better.

I like starting tanks by adding macro algae (in a refugium) right from the start. The refugium can even just be a simple partition to keep the livestock and macros separate. In that way the system is balanced and stabilized right from the start.

A week later I add male mollys to get things (like cycle) started.

after those two things then do the rest.

my .02

Hello,

I've been involved with both fresh and salt water tanks for a few years off and on. I've had tanks up to 70 gallons and kept them for a few years. Recently, I got a new job and will be moving/building a new house. I also finally have the $$$ to do everything the correct way. I plan to start a saltwater reef aquarium from the ground up. I guess what I need from you guys is an extensive list of the products you would suggest, including sizes. I know bigger is better, but what is an appropriate size aquarium to be very happy with the results and not need to buy a larger one later? 250-300 gallons? I really want to purchase quality equipment and do this once the right way to set up an ecosystem that will be healthy and have longevity.

Thank you for your help!
Hey Adam,

Congratulations with a new job and this wonderful idea to have a tank!
I hope this forum help you a lot:)
What fish do you like?

Zhenya