New reef tank

verojeremy

OK so i finally got my fish tank set up I have for equipment: 75 gallon tank, 30 gallon refugium, protein skimmer, waiting for my power-head, heater and nova extreme pro 6x 54 watt t5s for right now I have 2x but I want 6x for my coral, live sand, I have "dead rock" waiting for that to get browner for coral.
For fish and inverts: today I got 2 clownfish (I had my water tested everything is good), and I got a cleaner shrimp.
For down the line: I wanted a Kole tang, mystery wrasse or sixline haven't decided yet, mandarin dragonet ( I have copeopods) , 3 firefish goby and I was looking at a pinktail trigger because i saw him in lfs and he looks really awsome and he told me he is one of the very few "reef safe" triggers so I was wondering if he wouldn't eat my cleaner shrimp I was planning on getting one more and maybe a pom pom crab, bubble tip anemone, and a dersea clam but probaly not the clam or crab cause the trigger would probaly eat them.
For coral I have none yet but I wanted: sunflower zoos, hammer coral, frogspawn, sun coral, leather toadstool, mushroom coral, and more down the line and the trigger won't eat the coral right?
So please put your info on the trigger aqnd compatiability with everything i listed.
I will try to put pictures and my pair of clownfish swim right next to each other and look like they are doing a dance with each other will they mate or something?

verojeremy

Alright updated the list I don't want that trigger instead i was looking at a blue throat trigger and if i can't get one or would advise on not getting one what should i replace with it.

ibew41

more than likely the trigger will eat the shrimp maybe the clowns if they are small and I have seen the eat sps.also a 75 is on the small side for the trigger,on the mandarin wait about a year for this and a fuge to keep pods to grow

verojeremy

OK well I talked to my lfs and they basically said dont take the risk and i researched more and I'm not getting a trigger ill save that trigger for a fowlr I will get when I'm older and ave my own house so anyway what other fish would get along and be a cool fish to have in there?

verojeremy

Oh and the shrimp is about 1 inch to 1.25 and the clowns havent minded him yet they are just swimming with each other looking around and the cleaner is going upside down o rocks and such.

verojeremy

Also I got the fish yesterday, would it be fine if I got a kole tang or should I wait for a more established tank or because he would probally be the most aggresive one in there. If not what order should I put them in at and i ave 10 snails (astrea/trubos).

verojeremy

No I haven't I have the cleaner and 2 clowns I'm going to order my heater thermometer testing kit (got water tested from lfs), my 6x t5 nova extreme pro light fixture (I have a 2x now) and I need my 2 1050 gph koralias but I have everything else.

verojeremy

I asked lfs they said fish and cleaner would be fine just the 3 till I get my powerheads cause I don't want like a 50 dollar fish dead cause not enough oxygen but I had temperature, paraments, and already have a light they all look healhy I fed them earlier they ate the formula one pellets and tommorow I am giving them the rods plankton.

verojeremy

Ok so fish i will add in this order 2 clownfish, test and see water paraments, 3 firefish goby, wait a bit test water, kole tang, test water and copeopods, mandarin dragonet, test water, sixline or mystery wrasse, check water, and last but truly truly not least a male blue throat trigger. Saw they are pretty reef safe and wanted to get like a 2 inch one. I saw at lfs and online that they are out of season when do they come in season and when they do where could I get them i know lfs but any where else?
My inverts would be in 1st I already have 9 healthy snails lfs gave me a dead one not using them anymore i have 2-3 more lfs i can trust, and I have a cleaner shrimp I want one more he is now about 1.5-1.75 inch, and wanted an anemone down the line.

verojeremy

Also getting the fish after I get my supplies and waiting for rock to get browner for coral and blue throat wont eat coral right?

btwk12

sounds like you have it planned out, but a lil bit off. i would not get the trigger they say they are reef safe but they eat inverts (crabs,snails,shrimp) and they will get to big for a 75. i think they call for a 125 or bigger. and for the mandarin like someone already said you need to wait a while for the pod poppulation to build up. just because you see a few doesn't mean anything the mandarin will run through them quickly then most likely starve to death. i would get some flow in there first and then get a better clean up crew before you add any more fish. and im not sure what you mean when you say you have somethin 2x and want it to be 6x? is that your lights? your adding 2 bulb fixtures at a time? patience is the key to being in this hobby for a long time. i was impatient when i first started and it cost me a lot of money. also don't always trust a lfs do the research your self before you buy.

verojeremy

No im getting a whole new fixture i know mandarins eat all day thats why i'm waiting, and I'm going to upgrade the tank later on.

verojeremy

OK so I have decided on my fish list I am going in order: 2 ocellaris clownfish, 3 firefish gobys, kole tang, sixline wrasse, check to see if ihave enough copeopods for a while than mandarin dragonet, and then my blue throat triggerfish.
Inverts I want: I have a cleaner want another one so 2 cleaners, have 10 snails may get more, and a clam and anemone down the line for established tank
Coral I want: sunflower zoos, hammer coral, frogspawn, sun coral, leather toadstool, mushroom coral, and more down the line maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verojeremy http:///t/388508/new-reef-tank#post_3426547
I'm older and ave my own house
how old are you?
personaly I would skip the kole tang because a 75 may be a little small
you don't want the rocks to be brown, you want them to be pink/purple with coraline algea
sun coral is non-photosinthetic and is very difficult to keep
the bulbs that come with the nova system suck so get different bulbs
contrary to what most people have been saying I don't see a problem with the blue-chin trigger. the have an upslung mouth and its very difficult for them to eat off the bottom
well here is my little rant (hope it helps)

verojeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clown-keeper99 http:///t/388508/new-reef-tank#post_3427299
how old are you? Um stranger danger stranger danger! joking around I am 13 lol.
personaly I would skip the kole tang because a 75 may be a little small Read and they do not get that big and are prob one of the best tangs for a 75 prob will upgrade to a 125 for blue throat in 2 years anyway.
you don't want the rocks to be brown, you want them to be pink/purple with coraline algea. Yeah i know just said that because they are brown going on purple.
sun coral is non-photosinthetic and is very difficult to keep. Read that thought about it and not getting it forgot to edit.
the bulbs that come with the nova system suck so get different bulbs. I am upgrading to geisamen or whatever
contrary to what most people have been saying I don't see a problem with the blue-chin trigger. the have an upslung mouth and its very difficult for them to eat off the bottom
well here is my little rant (hope it helps). Thank you wanted someone to say this I have been looking everywhere on forums they said 50/50 but I disagree because of their mouths and saw a lot of people had it and lfs said they have one and it is a model reef citizen and lastly I have like a 1.75 inch cleaner getting another that size and trigger is going in last.
I have been doing so much research and ty.
Jeremy

well finaly someone younger than me on the fourms (I'm 15)
one thing you will learn is that an ounce of percaution is worth a pound of cure
take you time with things and your fish and inverts will live long happy lives