New Saltwaterfish.com Bulletin Board set to launch Mid-August

saltwaterfish.com

Administrator
Staff member
We are putting the finishing touches on the new Saltwaterfish.com Bulletin Board and we expect it to launch mid-August. We really think it will be the finest community board for aquarists incorporating with industry leading features. We hope that everyone enjoys their new home. I, for one, can't wait to launch and really show the community what a great board can be.
We are going into beta testing next week and I am extending an opportunity for 2-3 members to take a look around and give us their honest opinions on what they like and dislike. It you would like to help us beta test, we would like you to have extensive knowledge of our existing board and some experience at other boards for comparison. You don't need to be technically proficient, just have an opinion on what you like and dislike. I apologize in advance that we can only offer this to 2-3 people, but if you are interested, please send me a PM.
I have attached two mock-ups of the new site. The first is the new home page for members, the second is what a thread will look like. I know they are small, but that is one of the reasons we are moving from vBulletin. This new system will be much, much better.
I am also listing some of the enhancements with the new system. You may have seen this in earlier emails, but it is worth repeating now.
Thank you for your patience as we build the brand new Saltwaterfish.com Community Board. I hope everyone agrees it is worth the wait.
Here are some of the new features of the site.
Product Pages & Reviews
A home page created for each individual fish, tank, etc. that aggregates users’ reviews, the best threads, images, owners, and more in one centralized location
Structured review system with star ratings, pros and cons, plus a full review area
Product Wiki allows users to collaborate on product specific information, such as recommended food for a given type of fish.
These pages are maximized for SEO and engaging visitors from search – they serve as
portals into related forum content and Wikis as well as driving buyers to affiliate opportunities.
User Lists
Users can create highly customized lists of their equipment to show off what fish and
gear they have; lists can include descriptions, images, comments, and more.
Wiki System
Registered users can create and edit collaborative articles using a fully WYSIWYG editor;
articles can include tables, images, lists, links, embedded videos, etc.
Administrators and moderators can lock Wikis to prevent editing.
Integrated Related Content
Structured tagging system allows content from all over the site to be pulled together.
Related threads, Wikis, products, reviews, brands, and images increase stickiness and
help users find more information about the topics they care about.
Activity Streams
Activity streams are used around the site to display the most recent activity site‐wide, a
user’s activity on their profile page, and related brand activity on Industry Insider pages.
Industry Insiders
The Industry Insiders program is a unique way for related brands to interact with the
community. Brand reps can have customized showcase pages to show off their
products, all the buzz around the site about their brand, as well as give community
members access to communicate directly with their reps.
r />
Global Search
Search includes threads, Wikis, reviews, products, users, brands, and tags
Users can find the most relevant information for any search as well as drill down into
each section of the site depending on their interests.
User Image Albums
o Image albums can be created and showcased on a user’s profile
o Albums include titles, description, privacy preferences, etc.
o Images can be directly uploaded with titles and descriptions
o All images are automatically re‐sized when embedded into threads and Wikis
Forum & Thread Structure
o Quick reply, advanced reply, quote and multi‐quote functions are all available
o Thread and post read/unread status is tracked on a per user basis – users can
easily navigate to the newest post since their last visit to the thread
o Search forum and search threads functions are present on all forum pages
Custom User Titles
o Graphical badges can be assigned to user groups and can also be awarded based
on post count
o Custom plain text user titles are also supported
Private Messages
o Users can send and receive private messages
o A popover notification alerts them to when they receive a new notification
Subscriptions
o Users can subscribe to a wide variety of content on the site, including threads,
product/review pages, Wikis, product categories, tags, and other users.
o Each subscription can be set with a different email notification

cranberry

When you run the betas... can we have a larger screen shot? I honestly can't "feel" the boards from those pics :)

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, pics continue to be a problem here for sure.....but from what I can see, it does look WOW. Looking forward to the beta exploration.