New Setup Questions

So I’ve got my tank up and running. 60lbs of live sand and 32lbs of live rock. The water seems pretty good at 1.027. I’m a little concerned with the water temp being at 71.4 and think I need to add a heater. What’s a good temperature? I need to figure out a place to put it in the sump. There isn’t much room in the area where the protein skimmer is. And the return pump takes up a decent amount of space in the last chamber of the sump. I was thinking maybe where the water comes in from the overflow of in the compartment where the sock is?

The waiting game begins with the cycle now.

geridoc

Room temp is too cool for most tropical marine fish. I would recommend getting two heaters, each one rated at half of the total wattage you need. That way, when one fails in the on position (and it will, sooner or later!), it won't be powerful enough to overheat the tank. If they won't fit in the last chamber of your sump then they should go into the display. There are heaters that use a remote sensor that can be put in the display and the heater itself in the sump.

Yeah I knew that was too cool for the fish. I don't have any fish in there now, it has only been running since Saturday. I need it to cycle before I add anything to it. I will look into the heaters I need.

I'm assuming there isn't a way to make the tank cycle sooner. I don't want to rush anything. I know with freshwater, I was able to add a fish or 2 and it would speed it up.

jay0705

Nothing good happens fast in sw. Patients grasshopper. I agree with the two heaters aswell. Eheim, finnex titanium are a few good ones. There are others i just can't think of there names

geridoc

Raising the temperature will also speed the cycling process as well. Good luck (which you don't really need since you are asking questions early).

Yeah I'd rather get the question in now, before things get haywire and I'm trying to fight fires. I have a good store that's near me too that has a lot of saltwater aquariums set up in it. They guy who owns it has been doing saltwater for the last 15 years, so that's helpful.

I'm trying to find heaters that will fit in my sump. It's only 12" wide though and I can't seem to find anything that will fit. Anyone have any ideas? I don't really want them in the tank. I'm trying to keep any of that type of stuff out so it has a cleaner look

Next question is for water movement....Being a cube I've read a lot of people having problems with dead spots. I found that people using the Maxspect Gyre? I was looking at the 230? any thoughts?

Jesterrace

I'm trying to find heaters that will fit in my sump. It's only 12" wide though and I can't seem to find anything that will fit. Anyone have any ideas? I don't really want them in the tank. I'm trying to keep any of that type of stuff out so it has a cleaner look
Honestly heaters in the sump are not very effective as you will have high heat loss in the transfer from one tank to another and it is directly heating the smaller of the two tanks instead of the larger one where all the important stuff is.

I have noticed a film on the surface of the water. When I had freshwater, I use to get this also and I bought a surface skimmer that did the trick and got rid of the scum. Being that this is Salt Water...is there much difference? Should I look into getting a surface skimmer to help get rid of this, or is there something I'm doing wrong?

I also bought a Maxspect Gyre XF230 and it should be here tomorrow or Thursday. That should get me a lot of flow that I'm looking for and eliminate any dead spots in the tank. I'll probably run it around 30% which will be more than enough.

jay0705

Lack of surface disturbance is the cause. More flow will help. A protein skimmer isn't a bad idea tho

beaslbob

I want to start a 150 gallon or maybe a little smaller saltwater aquarium. I'd like to have fish mostly and maybe a handful of corals in it. How much live rock and live sand will I need? I have a lot of questions about equipment for this tank also, so really any input would be great.
Actually live rock and live sand are not needed. IMHO.

I would start the system with macro algae in a refugium (can be just s simple in tank partition to keep the macros and livestock separated). Then do the rest. The algae will preform the functions of live rock and sand, stabilize the system, and convert ammonia(first) nitrates(second), phosphates, co2 into fish food and oxygen. Meanwhile play sand and landscape rocks can be used.

my .02