new shrimp

iidylii

so today I received a Pederson cleaner shrimp

http://www.***********.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+3557&pcatid=3557

it is so unbelievable how small the thing is...I absolutely could not find it in the bag they sent it in...only when I dumped it into QT could I find it...if you look at the exclamation point on your laptop keyboard...that's pretty darn close to how big it is...not even exaggerating lol...

now what I wanted to ask is...would I be smart to just leave this guy in QT for several months to let him grow? the fish I would be concerned with eating him would by maybe my fox or my flame angel? I have no idea if they would but I know they are questionable reef safe fish?

I really just don't want to have to deal with a QT tank for something the size of a spec of dust lol but if I have to I guess I have to...

whats your opinions? thanks again

2quills

Guess I'll never order one of those from there. $30 really lol? That wouldn't be anything but a small snack to the fish in your display.

iidylii

yeah that's really odd that they would send one this small I would think...says 1/2 to 3/4" size shipped...should be very similar to a peppermint shrimp when full grown..little smaller but yeah...I actually should call them back and let them know im concerned..this guy in no way is the shipping size lol...its more like 1/2 centimeter lol

iidylii

That thing next to it is a sinking pellet and as we know those are maaaaaybe the size of a pencil eraser lol

Attachments

lmforbis

I certainly wouldn't add it when the lights are on. It's about the size of an amphopod. If you could add it in the dark to the rocks it may be ok but even if it is you may never see it again. The wild ones I've seen are almost invisible, at least to my eyes.

iidylii

I certainly wouldn't add it when the lights are on. It's about the size of an amphopod. If you could add it in the dark to the rocks it may be ok but even if it is you may never see it again. The wild ones I've seen are almost invisible, at least to my eyes.
yeah forbis thats like exactly the size of it like an amphipod lol...like I said it may take a while to find it in the tank again but if it makes it to its full grown size then obviously it will be visible...not only that but it sounds like they like bonding with anemones so possibly an easy way to locate it unless the clown chomps him up lol...again I just am not sure where its chances of survival are best...in the DT it has all of its sources of food to choose from and in the QT who knows what the tiny little thing will want lol...

I think im just going to drop it in tonight and hope for the best...but that means tmrw and the next and the next I hope it has the ability to stay hidden in the day time that's all...that's ridiculous of them to send one this small though In my opinion

and speaking of anemones...I put my brothers in my tank and it is doing just fine for the last few days here...opened up nicely and seems ok...it is very content with the rock I put it in there on though...I have flipped the rock over a couple times now just to try and get it to move but no such luck...it just stretches all the way around the rock and leaves its foot in the same place lol

jay0705

I ordered some skunks via online. When they say small, they mean small!!! Lol honestly its why iam so pro lfs. You see what your buying

lmforbis

I'd complain to the vendor about the size.

They are Caribbean shrimp, they may not go to a bubble tip which is not a carafe an species. You never know though strange things happen.

iidylii

I ordered some skunks via online. When they say small, they mean small!!! Lol honestly its why iam so pro lfs. You see what your buying
right ive ordered small skunks before and they were def small...this is actually microscopic lol

I'd complain to the vendor about the size.

They are Caribbean shrimp, they may not go to a bubble tip which is not a carafe an species. You never know though strange things happen.
I suppose your right...would be sweet though to have a clown and shrimp all hangin out in an anemone

jay0705

Honestly how do you actually send that to a customer??? Most good sites atleast give a measurement. They said my shrimp would be under an inch lol

iidylii

I just got off the phone with them and they said no worries we are refunding your card so that was good of them :D

one-fish

Kinda like Jay on this ordered a banded goby w/red pistol shrimp from LFS no $ down if I like em I buy em, but have been waiting 2 weeks with no guarantee on delivery Guess it comes down to your own circumstances/logistics. Me like to look at what I buy

jay0705

Its tough for iidylii i know bc of his remoteness. Alot of folks order online and honestly its great to shop from home. I was just looking online lol i have enough in my area tho i can shop local for most things

one-fish

Understand some fellow aqurists don,t have three shops to shop from not saying online is the wrong way, in fact if I can't get want I want thur my LFS I will order online to get them

2quills

Just need to read those little disclaimers about specimens not looking like their picture so you won't be disappointed lol.

I've had some good purchases come from online. But there are so many variables involved with selection and shipping I prefer to get my fish locally so I can observe them first.

Otherwise, I'll buy frags online all day cause I can hardly ever find anything good down here local.

lmforbis

That's why I like to buy wysiwyg. At least I know what the actual specimen looks like. I have one local store that I like but it is still almost an hour away.