New SPS -ID? (pic)

keri

Picked this up yesterday, supposedly ORA from my LFS. I'm not very good at IDing SPS, anyone know what it is? (colours are fairly true to life in the pic except the tips are more violet in person)

lilbuddha

Wish I could help u .
I thought ORA's came on these black plugs that hard as get out to remove or cut off . I have never seen an ORA that large either .
How big is that frag ?
I would check back with the LFS with their stocklist and back track it for id .
I got a lil messy with the glue .
see the plug

trippkid

kind of looks like the "stuber" staghorn coral, looks like a nice growth pattern for you, mine is 1 long stick with branching on the end, I have to chop it up and remount a piece of it, one with more branching at the base. Very nice piece, and pretty easy to care for, if mine has made it through all of my mistakes, it is a hardy one. Good luck with it.
Matt

keri

Yeah, I don't really believe it was ORA either. I think it's probably a stag, hopefully it does well :) Most of my SPS do, but I just killed a digi when I switched tanks :(
Thanks!!

lilbuddha

It's hard to do that with a Montipora but we all have our days . It still is a nice addition .
Good luck with it and ur new tank .

mkzimms

its a blue flesh staghorn, i have one that looks almost identical. yours could be a true ORA, mine is ORA lineage from a local reefer's collection.

mkzimms

most sps will take on different colors when they are not receiving enough light, like in her case where the base may be getting shadowed by the upper branches, very often you will see different colors on the underside of branches than on the top. for example i have a large purple acropora nana that is the correct bright colored purple on the upper branches but the base and main stalk are turning blue and green. its normal and nothing you can really do about it but brighten your light setup a bit or change its orientation to the light. high wattage T5HO seem to be better at avoiding this because they are an omnidirectional light source where as MH are a directional source which will create shadows. so with MH you will get the most light mainly direct from the bulb, from T5HO you will get better illumination on all sides. obviously MH are brighter and better suited for growing SPS. i prefer high wattage T5HO, but to each his own.
keri, what type of light are you keeping it under?

keri

2x250w MH w/ VHO actinics on a standard 2x4x2 120g tank (just changed the bulbs 3 weeks ago)
But that coral had only been in my tank for a couple of hours when I took that photo, the shading must have happened at the LFS or where it came from originally, I think it may brighten up now, it's about 10" from the top.