New tank need advice

Bambue450

I have a new 14 gal biocube and am going with dry rock, is it a good idea to have sand for stability or would it just trap detritus and other bad stuff what do you think

lmforbis

I like sand. You put the rock in first. It has a more natural look and certain fish like gobies need it.

Alex.M.

So what I would advise is to add fine live sand, not course sand. Then get a few sand shifting invertebrates like crabs or snails or even a small p. urchin. Most people underestimate how important invertebrates can be to an aquarium. For example most harmful chemical in aquariums come from waste, left over food,algae, and decomposing animals in the sand, invertebrates (like the ones listed above), will eat and take of those problems for you, thus keeping balance to the tank.

lmforbis

I don’t like super fine sand it tends to be messy. I use coarser sand.
The nasarius snails will keep the under sand area stirred up. They dissappear under the sand then you feed the fish and they come up from under the sand quite amusing to watch.. Other types of snails will get the glass and rock. The inverts are important. The problem lies in the fact that many are more delicate, like shrimp and urchins. They need a very clean and mature tank. They don’t do well in newer tanks. A mature tank would be over 1year and stable for at least 6 months. They need low nitrates. Another interesting invert when your tank is mature would be a fighting or tiger conch.

Alex.M.

I don’t like super fine sand it tends to be messy. I use coarser sand.
The nasarius snails will keep the under sand area stirred up. They dissappear under the sand then you feed the fish and they come up from under the sand quite amusing to watch.. Other types of snails will get the glass and rock. The inverts are important. The problem lies in the fact that many are more delicate, like shrimp and urchins. They need a very clean and mature tank. They don’t do well in newer tanks. A mature tank would be over 1year and stable for at least 6 months. They need low nitrates. Another interesting invert when your tank is mature would be a fighting or tiger conch.
I read that with coarse sand you tend to get a build up toxic gases that settle between the sand pebbles. Is this different for you?

lmforbis

You will get some gasses (sulfur based especially)in the lower part of any sand bed. This is where the anaerobic bacteria live, part of the ecosystem.. They are good that is where nitrate is broken down. You don’t want to vacuum your sand because it will bring this to the surface. Coarse grains would be 2-3 mm where fine would be less than 1 mm, oolite is an example. It just blows around. Never do gravel that is just a big toxic mess.

This is what I use

9D5D1503-F247-416C-9FFA-0842A1E32E30.jpeg
8CAAAE67-7C5B-4076-81BF-51B11AA60630.jpeg

lmforbis

Live sand isn’t necessarily or necessarily beneficial depending on how it is stored prior to you getting it. Dry is what I would have used just couldn’t get the grain size I wanted.