New Tank Stand Idea

mpdan

I just picked up a Deep Blue 20x20x16 reef ready tank and I am trying to see if anyone can help with my stand idea. The ideal place for the stand is where I have an existing table, so I want to build the stand long enough to still use as a partial table. Will keeping the tank only on one side of this design cause problems? The stand will be 36 long so 20 inches would be tank and the other 16 would be used as a table.
12.gif

lmforbis

I think you would depend on how the table is built and what it is built out of. It would need to be solid and not have any wiggle in it.

2quills

Agreed, if you build it strong enough you can make it work. For something like that you'll probably want to construct a sturdy frame first. Id shoot for something a little taller too if possible to have more room for plumbing and equipment when it's all said and done. But that's personal preference.

mpdan

I started the stand today. I didn't have enough 2x4s to finish the legs but this is what I have done so far. The table portion will only be used for drinks. The stand will be replacing a side table between two couches. I will be sheeting the outside with plywood and then painting. I will be adding a large door to the length of the stand and the top table portion will be removable for more access to the sump.
20161205_174853.jpg
20161205_174900.jpg
20161205_174911.jpg

mpdan

Any ideas on how to mount 2 kessil a150 with the goose necks instead of going straight off of the tank?

florida joe

In my opinion anytime i will have a DIY project that can have the wood exposed to water i seal it with epoxy

2quills

You can also pick up epoxy paint and kill two birds with one stone. Usually local pool supply places will carry it. It isn't always cheap but not necessarily more expensive than buying paint and epoxy separate.

Or a decent water based acrylic paint will do just fine in most cases. Not as durable or scratch resistant as epoxy but it's a nice alternative.

mpdan

Ok thank you I will look into the epoxy. Should I paint the inside of the stand with the epoxy? For the top I will be staining and poly.

mpdan

I used poly on the inside of the stand thanks for the tip. I have finished everything except the table top portion.
tank.jpg
tank2.jpg
tank3.jpg
tanks4 (2).jpg

florida joe

Absolutely love it. remember as with all open tanks research if the fish you are going to introduce are jumpers. use GFIs on all your electrical connections

mpdan

Thanks a lot! I am already really enjoying the tank and the way it looks. lol no I will research for jumping thank you.