New to hobby

WilliamZX

I have a 30 gallon tank. Started with live sand and a few pieces of live rock. Waited a month and had water tested and it was good. Started with 2 clown fish and being that I was already getting algae growth on the sand I also put a yellow head goby in at the same time. Did the cup method of acclimating them and the went into the water and now stick together in the same place in the tank. Feed them a mix of brine and mysis shrimp, they don' like pellets. All three are doing great after 2 weeks. Red algae starting to grow on glass. Need something that will eat that but I'm planning on getting a valentini puffer and I know they like to eat snails. Any suggestions? Thank you.

jay0705

Ok a few things. 1st that is a sleeper headed goby, they filter the sand to eat the micro fauna living in it. In such a new tank there won't be any.
2nd you have a ton of apatasia anemones these are a pest and should be removed.
3rd yes a valentini will eat snails but if kept fed won't eat them all at one time.

WilliamZX

Ok a few things. 1st that is a sleeper headed goby, they filter the sand to eat the micro fauna living in it. In such a new tank there won't be any.
2nd you have a ton of apatasia anemones these are a pest and should be removed.
3rd yes a valentini will eat snails but if kept fed won't eat them all at one time.
That's what the store owner called the goby and yes those anemones are popping up everywhere but with only three small fish, I'm feeding them half a cube of frozen food and the anemones are eating what the fish don' eat so I figure, for now, they are at east keeping things clean. Do you know of any starfish that eat the algae on glass that would be safe with a valentini puffer. Don' know much about starfish but I have seen them stuck to the glass so I figured they may eat the algae.

WilliamZX

Astrina stars will, but there small. Most stars are eating the bio film off the glass not the alage
Thank you, I will look into those if the puffer will leave it alone. I'm sure my kids would love to see a starfish but also want to make sure it's good for the tank and other fish.

lmforbis

Star fish are tough They need really stable water and do best in large mature tanks. Personally I’d work at getting rid of the aphasia. They will take over your tank in no time.

silverado61

Astrina's are reputed as hitchhikers. Finding them online or in LFS is going to be a near impossible task. Like imforbis said, you should consentrate on getting rid of the Aiptasia.
I would advise taking all the fish back to your LFS. With all those Aiptasia, it won't be long before they wander too close and get stung by the Aiptasia.
While your there, check their other tanks and see if they are also infested with Aiptasia. If they are, I would be very wary of buying anything from them again. If they allowed their tanks to be overrun by them, who knows what other parasites or diseases lurk in those tanks.

WilliamZX

Astrina's are reputed as hitchhikers. Finding them online or in LFS is going to be a near impossible task. Like imforbis said, you should consentrate on getting rid of the Aiptasia.
I would advise taking all the fish back to your LFS. With all those Aiptasia, it won't be long before they wander too close and get stung by the Aiptasia.
While your there, check their other tanks and see if they are also infested with Aiptasia. If they are, I would be very wary of buying anything from them again. If they allowed their tanks to be overrun by them, who knows what other parasites or diseases lurk in those tanks.
It sounds like my first new Comer question should have been how do I get rid of the pest anemone. Didn't know they were bad. Actually gave me something to watch during the first month.

jay0705

Given the size of them either hit them w boiling water or apatasia x is an option. When small peppermint shrimp will eat them

Jesterrace

Agreed. Clownfish by nature can develop an immunity to such stings but that goby will definitely be an issue. A small aiptasia contributed to the death of two of my dartfish (Purple Firefish and Scissortail). Too bad he can't get a small butterflyfish in there, they will clean house on those very quickly,

Jesterrace

Thank you
Mine was a single small aiptasia that hitchiked on a zoanthid coral frag and I hit it with Aiptasia X and it killed it dead in a few days and months later I am aiptasia free. The one nice thing about aiptasia x as opposed to other methods is that it keeps it from spreading it's segments and reproducing (which can be a possibility with other methods).

WilliamZX

Mine was a single small aiptasia that hitchiked on a zoanthid coral frag and I hit it with Aiptasia X and it killed it dead in a few days and months later I am aiptasia free. The one nice thing about aiptasia x as opposed to other methods is that it keeps it from spreading it's segments and reproducing (which can be a possibility with other methods).
I actually took the advice of hitting them with boiling water. Being that I only have three rocks at this time, I went ahead and took them out and poured boiling water on them in a bucket. They are now gone. Unfortunately, I have now counted about 30 tiny ones in the sand and a couple on the glass. After doing some research, I am thinking about getting a file fish to keep it under control. What do you think?

jay0705

Matted file and a few pep shrimp. Keep in mind not all pep shrimp will eat it tho.
You didn't boil the whole rock rt?

WilliamZX

Given the size of them either hit them w boiling water or apatasia x is an option. When small peppermint shrimp will eat them
I have taken the advice of hitting them with boiling water. Being that I only have three rocks at this time, I went ahead and took them out and poured boiling water on them in a bucket. They are now gone. Unfortunately, I have now counted about 30 tiny ones in the sand and a couple on the glass. After doing some research, I am thinking about getting a file fish to keep it under control. What do you think?

Jesterrace

File fish are difficult to maintain and very delicate. I can't tell since you put decorations in your tank whether or not you actually have coral. If not you could try temporarily putting a really small butterflyfish (ie a young Klein's) in there and removing it after it wipes them out. It wouldn't be my first choice but it sounds like you have a real out of control aiptasia problem. Peppermint shrimp may or may not work.

WilliamZX

Matted file and a few pep shrimp. Keep in mind not all pep shrimp will eat it tho.
You didn't boil the whole rock rt?
Not exactly. I just put the rocks in a bucket and poured the water over it. By your question, Something tells me that was not what you meant.

WilliamZX

File fish are difficult to maintain and very delicate. I can't tell since you put decorations in your tank whether or not you actually have coral. If not you could try temporarily putting a really small butterflyfish (ie a young Klein's) in there and removing it after it wipes them out. It wouldn't be my first choice but it sounds like you have a real out of control aiptasia problem. Peppermint shrimp may or may not work.
No coral at this time. Was a fresh water tank and couldn't afford the $700.00 - $900.00 price that the local store was quoting me to switch it ove. I have autistic kids that love saltwater fish aquariums, so I decided to slowly do it myself.

Last edited: