New to Saltwater and in middle of new build. Please help!

MikeyD

Ok gonna change it up again and keep this exciting. I found in my local craigslist a guy selling a sump/refugium tank looks like it was probably made but looks good and is about 50 gallons for $100 he was asking $150. Measurements are 48" long x 18" deep x 14" tall. Is the height good or should I go a little taller I have about 28" I can go total if I move some things. I attached a pic. Be honest :)

Attachments

Last edited:

MikeyD

Anyone? I'm looking at possibly getting this tomorrow afternoon. If it's not a good deal then I'll pass. Only question I had is do the bubble traps look right?

2quills

It's an ok deal. Not bad but not great. I would re arrange the traps, personally. But the tank is a good size for a sump.

silverado61

I agree with 2Quills about the traps. Those are going to be a bitch to clean in between the baffles. Personally I would go with an under/over/under bubble trap. Serves the same purpose and much easier to keep clean. The good news is you only need to move one piece of glass at each baffle to achieve it.

Last edited:

lmforbis

Agreed. I don't have as much of an issue with the traps as the others. I don't have a trap between my first two sections and only an over under between section 2 and 3. I have no issues with bubbles. The size is great, I have a 40 gallon because that is what I had on hand to build the sump with bigger would have been even nicer. You aren't going to have it full, maybe 2/3s at most. Like silverado said the skimmer needs to be in only 6-8" of water depending on the model you choose. I have mine elevated on a pile of egg crate because the water level is too high. You don't want a lot of height you need to be able to take things in and out of it easily. That is the worst having a too tall sump that you just can't easily clean or work in. One of the great things about a sump is that you can hide a lot of equipment in it.

In your pics above you show a canister filter/skimmer combo. I would get rid of that and get a good quality in sump skimmer. Bulk Reef Supply has a lot of videos on their web site that have a lot of basic info as well as how to choose and use various pieces of equiptment. You can go very complex or simple. I like the simple method. The sump filled with macro algae and maybe rock rubble will be a big part of your filtration system. The skimmer will help remove organics from the tank and your live rock will be the biofiltration. Once everything is up and going for a while it will run very smoothly with little needed from you other than water changes. Granted this takes several months if not more to get to this point but it is great when you get there.

While you are planning the display tank I'd start thinking about a quarantine system as well. You will want to quarantine all your fish for at least 30 days.

MikeyD

Ok I see what you mean by the cleaning because all the crap would get stuck u see the middle divider glass vs. On the outside of each side right.

So my question is how much would it cost me to build this on my own cause I'm handy and have no problem going to Home Depot and getting sheets of glass cut and silicon them in the right way.

Also, is this tank considered a 50 gallon breeder or something else. Where can I buy a low 59 gallon tank I've only seen 40 gallon Low breeders.

Thanks to all of you for the help so far!

MikeyD

Awesome thank you Imforbis! I guess next question is where can I find plans to build one on this site?
Also any idea where can I find a 50 gallon low tank?

lmforbis

I’m sure you really need plans. I will suggest you decide what you want in the sump first. Skimmers take up a lot more space than you’d think. You don’t need a ton of space for your return pump but you need to know how big it will be first. Make sure your compartments are sized correctly.
As for a 50 gallon low tank no clue. I use a 40 gallon breeder which is a good size.

MikeyD

Ya that's the issue I'm having is finding that tank new as it is a great size and will fit perfectly in my cabinet that I'm building and it's 50 gallons vs. 40 and it's slightly taller than a frag tank low boy which is perfect for the skimmer. I figure I could always remove the silicone on the glass dividers and rearrange them to suite my needs right?

john rambo

The metal brace is usually a sign that the original plasti brace across the center of the tank cracked or was damaged. I dont recall a time were tanks this size were made without them. It can be cleaned up and painted to protect it from rust. I wouldn't leave the tank full without it. I've had a couple of tanks leak over the years and it isn't fun.

The stand should be plenty sturdy once it has the plywood skin on it. Most folks tend to over build stands for piece of mind and that's perfectly cool too.

Welcome to the salty side.

Welcome, and best of luck. I second the brace being a sign of the original plastic brace being damaged. The plastic braces can become brittle over time, but definitely necessary, IMO. I wouldn't feel comfortable with a tank that size not having a center brace. I rigged a similar brace when one of my plastic braces broke and had no issues with it moving forward. I also agree that you should try to coat the metal.

MikeyD

Thanks John for the welcome.

So I'm still stuck on someone saying it's an "OK" deal not great not bad. Just curious how much would a great deal be? Is it because it's bare bones or what is it missing? Also, wouldn't a tank that same size be more $$ just for the tank before anything at all is done to it?

Leaving in about an hour to go get it unless someone says NO WAY and points me to where I can buy the tank at least cheaper than $100.

Thanks!

2quills

I would go ahead and get it since the size is hard to find. You can re arrange the baffles however you want. Glass is already cut.

MikeyD

Ok cool 2quills...thanks all for the input on my way to get it now.

Also, just to update everyone I sold my 135 with the brace this morning and I actually got $210 for it and I had paid $150 for it. So at least half of my refugium I'm buying will be paid for :)

So off to buy a NEW 125 or 135 and not worry about it busting hopefully lol. So is Aqueon good from what I've read...there's obviously higher end but not looking to break the bank.

Thanks!

lmforbis

They are a high volume company, probably why they are so much less. They are sold at large retailers like petsmart and *****. They should be perfectly good for your display. Mine are Marineland which is probably the same quality.

MikeyD

Ok. Would you guys trust a company that doesn't have the cross supports from the factory? Like Elite tanks just like Aquarium Masters doesn't use cross supports they use thick Glass siliconed to the side which is the issue I have. But Elite says their glass is low-iron for extra clarity.