New to SW tanks

rfrostla

Hello everyone, I have had fresh water tanks for 20 years, But I want to start a SW tank, I have a 20 gal long, with a Aqua Clear 70 filter and a power head, A 100w heater and a Zoo Med Aqua Sun T-5 HO Double Light. Need suggestion on the correct bulbs, I want to have live sand, rock and coral, A few small fish. Thinking of purchasing my water for the local pet store. Any Suggestion are greatly appreciated. Thanks Ray

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfrostla http:///t/392164/new-to-sw-tanks#post_3480769
Hello everyone, I have had fresh water tanks for 20 years, But I want to start a SW tank, I have a 20 gal long, with a Aqua Clear 70 filter and a power head, A 100w heater and a Zoo Med Aqua Sun T-5 HO Double Light. Need suggestion on the correct bulbs, I want to have live sand, rock and coral, A few small fish. Thinking of purchasing my water for the local pet store. Any Suggestion are greatly appreciated. Thanks Ray
Hi, and welcome to the site!
Look on your light unit or original bulb for the watts...96w or 56w..whatever and that is how you purchase the bulb for replacement. Good idea to purchase water...for the first fill up
( I don't know how much you already know) You still need to purchase RO water or get your own unit. The water evaporates, but the salt does not. So to keep the salt level (SG) you need to keep the water level the same...this is called topping off. Always top off with fresh RO.
You will need a hydrometer or refractometer to make sure you match SG when you do water changes. Also lab type test kits. I personally like the Seachem kits.
Reading the 101 tips at the top of the New hobbyists section will help you .