New to this, looking for info

quickspit

I am wanting to get started with a saltwater tank. I have picked up a 40g tank and need to know what I need to have to get it up and running. I have been looking into live rock, pumps to create waterflow/movement & rock for the base.

What is recommended for heat, filtration and what not....

As I am new please have patience with my lack of knowledge. Any info will be helpful!

beaslbob

welcome to SWF and feel free to ask anything. Afterall the only dumb question is the one not asked.

My recommendations are a little outside the norm but what I recommend is starting your tank with macro algae (best in a refugium which can be a simple partition) or an algae turf scrubber right from the start. That will balance out and stabilize operation of the tank making it much easier to maintain.

After that then basically do the rest.

I also recommend a male molly or two to get the tank established. After the algae has conditioned the tank for a week and the mollies and don't feed them for a week. then start feeding a single flake per day.

After a few more weeks then try the more expensive marine only fish.

But that's not the norm.

So it's worth at most .02

jay0705

Live rock imo is essential for a successful sw tank. So yes once your salinty and tank temp is where u want it add some live rock. You can add mostly base rock and seed it with some live rock.
Iam gona jump around here so feel free to ask about anything.
Heating is fairly straight fwd. I personally like eheim heaters. I keep my tanks around 78-80.
Look into a refractometer instead of a hydrometer. There far more accurate.
Lighting. Decide if you only want fish or a reef tank. Lighting is key for a reef.
Bare bottom or sand. I don't recommend crushed coral.
You know to get powerheads.
Filters. The sump is king in sw. However the usual hob filter is fine. There is a new tidal hob that is supp to nice.
Research your stock list now. Your options will be limited in a 40 but plenty of smaller options.
A qt tank is a very good consideration. Unfortunately with sw fish there are alot of nasties out there. You don't want these in your tank. Some lfs and a few online stores will qt fish before sale. This is a good option to look into aswell.
Finally welcome to the land of sw. There is nothing like it. Be patient and do your homework, and you will have a wonderful experience

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Live rock and live sand is your starting point. A good reference book would be advisable. "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" is the best one I've seen especially for beginners but it will be useful for the duration as well.

With live rock and live sand, you won't need to establish your tank with any live animals such as fish. Just feed your tank to keep the rock alive and it should kick off nicely wo sacrificing fish or introducing fish diseases to a new tank.

Strongly recommend setting up a quarantine tank before getting new fish.

beaslbob

So, am I correct in thinking live rock right off? Adding in macro algae?
Yes.

but as the intervening posts illustrate that is not the popular method.

IMHO you can use rocks from your local limestone quarry (my cost was $20/ ton) and play sand from building supply stores ($3/50#) and still have stable and successful reef tanks.

my .02

jay0705

Iam fine with macro bob. I didn't mention it bc you did. I keep it in my tanks for a nitrogen reduction and fish food

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes.

but as the intervening posts illustrate that is not the popular method.

IMHO you can use rocks from your local limestone quarry (my cost was $20/ ton) and play sand from building supply stores ($3/50#) and still have stable and successful reef tanks.

my .02
But it will require a degree of work and know-how to get it reef ready. This method is definitely cheaper on the face of it, but it won't get you up and going very fast.

jay0705

I have to agree. It will work but takes alot longer.
Trying to do sw on the cheap is a recipe for disaster. On a budget ok, not cheap tho

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would see it as a fun thing to do as an aquarist (with a bit of knowledge under the belt) or someone who is on a tight budget with the patience to get started slowly.

Ultimately you have to get the biological diversity in to the system which will never happen with dead rock and dry sand by its self. While buying that is cheap, then you have to still make more purchases to get the biosystem going. Live sand and live rock get you there near instantly with a great deal of diversity and a wide safety net going out the gate.

beaslbob

But it will require a degree of work and know-how to get it reef ready. This method is definitely cheaper on the face of it, but it won't get you up and going very fast.
I simply do not understand why it would be slow. Afterall the macro algae in immediately balancing out and stabilizing the system and represents more effective conditioning than live rock.

I guess if the rock has been in water for 3 years and is covered with algae that would work almost as fast.

It is my belief and experience that you can have a healthy tank in 6 weeks maximum supporting livestock, by starting from scratch with absolutely sterile rocks and sand but with macro algae.

my .02

jay0705

Each tank is different but i just set up my new tank. Dry sand, about 50lbs live rock, 30 lbs dry. Caluperta and gracilla. It took 6 weeks just to cycle and i took a filter loaded with pods and bacteria off my 75 to help it along

quickspit

Speed is not something I am concerned about here. I just want to do it right. I just don't want to spend money on something that is a waist.

lmforbis

I start with dry rock. I like pukani from bulk reef supply. Dry argonite sand. I would never use play sand it is silica. I add a. A couple pieces of live rock.

2quills

It is my belief and experience that you can have a healthy tank in 6 weeks maximum supporting livestock, by starting from scratch with absolutely sterile rocks and sand but with macro algae.

my .02
That is my belief as well. Instant bio filtration.

McJagger

I started with Pukani rock from Bulk Reef Supply (Its a must that you watch some of their video. AWESOME, even though I didn't understand some of the crazy details they get involved with). I let it cure for 4 weeks (this can take longer so be patient). I also used live reef sand because I like the way it looks. Neither of these were cheap, but they look great. Plus, I don't plan on changing it out any time soon. So me sure you like what you pick... don't just settle. The best things about going this route is that I don't have any hitch hikers!!! My local pet store carries live rock, but it looks terrible. I would never put a piece of that in my tank. Once you pick your rock and sand, its just a matter of cycling your tank. I used the ammonia method. There are a ton of sites that can walk you through this. I liked this because I didn't have to use any living fish as "testers".

jay0705

The methods and approaches abound lol. The one common thread is be patient. Which it seems won't be an issue for you.