New to this, looking for info

jay0705

Lol goo gone is a new one for me. Mistakes happen tho. Live and learn. Once you get sw down it becomes very easy. Its just alot all at once as you learn. I watched my fish yest and was like " intresting" after all these years fish still surprise me. My mandys in 2 diff tanks follow the frozen food up in the water column then suck it in. When there new they always wait for it on bottom lol

Jesterrace

Lol goo gone is a new one for me. Mistakes happen tho. Live and learn. Once you get sw down it becomes very easy. Its just alot all at once as you learn. I watched my fish yest and was like " intresting" after all these years fish still surprise me. My mandys in 2 diff tanks follow the frozen food up in the water column then suck it in. When there new they always wait for it on bottom lol
Funny you should mention that. My 5 year old was observing the tank yesterday and he said my cleaner shrimp was going after a crab and my purple firefish got in the way of cleaner shrimp to help let the crab escape (or it just really wanted to be cleaned). Also yesterday, I shut off my powerhead to do my nightly feeding for my Green Mandarin (I do that with a turkey baster). I left it off for about 20 minutes and the mandarin actually swam up to the top of the tank a few times to grab some small pieces of shrimp (the first time I have ever seen it do this). I also watched my cleaner shrimp swim vertically into the water column to try and get at the turkey baster as I was pulling it out of the tank. In addition my scissortail and purple firefish stole my diamond watchman goby's original burrow and they share it together.

Last edited:

jay0705

The shrimp is common. Those guys go all over for food. Lol. The mandys are intresting little fish

quickspit

Note to self .... white vinegar, salt & water to clean tank initially. I have been wondering about cleaning it at I picked this talk up second hand and there is some left over crustacean/lime build up.

Jesterrace

Note to self .... white vinegar, salt & water to clean tank initially. I have been wondering about cleaning it at I picked this talk up second hand and there is some left over crustacean/lime build up.
If it's a used tank, go with the bleach water, rinse out and dry as best as possible and let air dry for 24 hours then do distilled WHITE vinegar, rinse out as best as possible and let air dry for 24 hours. If you have a used filter or any other equipment that you want to use you will need to run them during the process. I actually learned the sanitation method I used to get rid of the goo gone ick in my tank from people who buy used tanks and that is what they do to throughly clean it out. The distilled vinegar spot treatment and salt with a little bit of water only works for cleaning off label adhesive on the inside of a new tank. For the rinse out I actually stuck my tank in the bathtub and hit it with the shower sprayer for 15-20 minutes for each time before wiping it down completely.

Last edited:

Riess-Poor

Wow, this has been very insightful! I am a newbie, too. I had my store, Mr. Petman in Daytona Beach set up my tank. We ran water and live sand for a few days and then added dry/live rock. I have chatted with Beth and she said I have to feed them. Is this frozen food and anything in particular? Also, I am moving across states in 6 months. I realize I should have waited. However, here I am. My plan is to not add any fish until after the move. I would like to know what I should add at this time? Thank you!

Jesterrace

Wow, this has been very insightful! I am a newbie, too. I had my store, Mr. Petman in Daytona Beach set up my tank. We ran water and live sand for a few days and then added dry/live rock. I have chatted with Beth and she said I have to feed them. Is this frozen food and anything in particular? Also, I am moving across states in 6 months. I realize I should have waited. However, here I am. My plan is to not add any fish until after the move. I would like to know what I should add at this time? Thank you!
Honestly you can't add anything that won't be throwing away money and the live sand and live rock will be a problem as once they are kept out of saltwater for a period of time you have to start the cycling process all over again. The way the cycling process works is that there is an initial die off on the live rock of dead organisms from when they are kept out of saltwater, which involves spikes of ammonia, followed by nitrites and then nitrates before everything zeros out and then it is followed by a brown algae bloom. Until that algae bloom hits anything beyond the saltwater, dry/live rock and live sand is exposed to things that would be lethal. As for feeding what is in your tank, the only thing I can think of is if you are converting your dry rock to live rock, you might need to add some live bacteria to jump start the cycling process. The problem is that there is no real practical way to transport any of this stuff for a cross states move and you will have to start the process over again when you get there, unless you can get a bunch of 5 gallon buckets with gamma lids and put the live rock in there submersed in salt water while you drain the tank. It might save it from being a complete waste but you will need to completely clean the tank out before starting this again. I'm not trying to be debbie downer here but I am trying to explain how the process works and why it would be foolish to add anything more to the tank at this point.

Riess-Poor

Okay and thank you! I have ordered 5 five gl covered buckets from *****, online. If I put the rocks in the water do you think they will live? I am not planning to move the aquarium until December or January. If putting them in the buckets will save them, I am willing! I already have $1,800 in this precious hobby! :)

Jesterrace

Okay and thank you! I have ordered 5 five gl covered buckets from *****, online. If I put the rocks in the water do you think they will live? I am not planning to move the aquarium until December or January. If putting them in the buckets will save them, I am willing! I already have $1,800 in this precious hobby! :)
The big question is whether or not you will have the space to move them (how big is your tank and how many lbs of live rock and sand are you going to have to move). If you keep the stuff submerged in saltwater it should be okay, but you will have to hope the seal is tight enough to not have salt water sloshing around all over. I am afraid you will likely lose the live sand since there simply is no practical way to scoop that stuff up and keep it wet and then transfer it back into the tank. The good news is that it is not nearly as expensive as the rock is. You will definitely want to keep a close eye on the Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels when you get it setup again and it might need a week or two to get the new live sand settled in.

Riess-Poor

I promise we will make room! I wanted this to be my husbands hobby, but his interest has wained so... mine now ~ and I am cool with this. Though, I would have researched and then probably chose not too. So here we go!! I have no doubt this will be, to me just like my dogs were. Use to have a pack and now down to the baby! TY for suggestions

Jesterrace

48 gal tank with 40 lb dead/live rock and 80 lb sand
Just out of curiosity, why so much sand? I have a 36 gallon tank with 40lbs of live sand. I would go with more rock and less sand unless you are looking at getting some really deep burrowing fish.

dangerfish

I also Highly Recommend getting a quarantine tank it will help you a lot in the long run. I had 2 clownfish, a Kole tang, a porcupine pufferfish (don't judge me for having this in my reef tank it was a gift and actually was really well behaved and even let my cleaner shrimp jump on him or her......I never found out the gender), a firefish, and a two spot goby and all of them contracted ich from the tang and died (except for my firefish named Jasmine). So don't make the mistake I did make sure you pick out healthy fish before you purchase and a quarantine tank (it can be a relatively cheap)

When my order comes in for my quarantine tank ill be using:

30-gallon tank $30.00 (dollar per gallon sale at *****)
HMO- 100 Finnex Heater $35.00 (definitely could go cheaper I just like this heater)
KORALIA NANO POWERHEAD (425 GPH) $36.00
Lifegard Aquatics Ultra-Slim Blue/White LED Light $50.00 (again definitely could go cheaper)
Aqua Clear 30 Power Filter $40.00

Some PVC pipe for the fish to hide in $30.00 (ROUGH ESTIMATE)

Total= $221.00

And remember this could definitely go cheaper by a decent amount. So please consider getting a quarantine tank it will greatly benefit you.

dangerfish

And I'm no expert on this I'm just a 16-year-old rookie who just started this about 9 months ago paying for everything with my new minimum wage job and is still learning from my failures, but I'd definitely recommend getting a quarantine tank.