New treatment for saltwater Ich

Jeff Kim

I came across this on google. There was a post about using Hydrogen Peroxide for Salt Water Fish Diseases. The guy was using 5 ml of 6% solution twice a day to treat Ich and velvet. I believe he had a 50 gallon tank. I have a 90 Gallon. So with a simple calculation I used 20 ml of 3% solution. So the problem I had was no matter what fish store I went to, within a week the fish were flash swimming and developing white spots and eventually died in my isolation tank. I tried hypo salinity, fresh water dips can copper. Instead I now treat my 30 gallon isolation tank twice a day with 5 to 10 ml of 3% solution of Hydrogen Peroxide. I stop the pump and let it sit for 30 minutes in the morning and at night. After 14 days I then transfer the fish to my display 90 gallon tank and I treat that with 20 to 25 ml of Hydrogen Peroxide. I also turn off my main pump but leave on my small pumps in the aquarium. I also do this twice a day for another 14 days. While it is sitting for the half hour I usually mix up the sand to free any Ich that might be attached to sand particles.

Some cautions are noteworthy. Hydrogen Peroxide is like Bleach as it is an oxidizer. It does not discriminate what biological material that it destroys. So while it might attack the Ich it also kills your good bacterial filter. The only difference is that when Hydrogen Peroxide breaks down it results in water and a single oxygen. I have not dosed more than 25 ml so I don't know what the effects are with larger doses. I also have leathers and polyp corals in my display tank and they don't seem to be affected at these dosage levels.

I have been doing this for quite some time without negative affects or fish deaths like I used to get without treatments.

Has anyone else tried this?

Jeff Kim

By the way guys I don't recommend this as a solution and you certainly proceed at your own risk if you try this. The parameters are certainly wide with this with very little research on this therapy. I encourage people to comment as there is not much research on this.

Jeff Kim

O
Check treatment option #12
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-07/sp/feature/index.php

I've never tried it as I have 100% success with hypo (which is the best way to treat IMO). I would suggest to never use this method in your display tank.
Yes never could get hypo to work especially with green chromis. I would agree with not doing this in anybody's display tank. Just because it works in my limited environment doesn't mean it will work in an environment with more parameters.

Jeff Kim

O

Yes never could get hypo to work especially with green chromis. I would agree with not doing this in anybody's display tank. Just because it works in my limited environment doesn't mean it will work in an environment with more parameters.
Oh yes looked at your link. There it is hydrogen peroxide therapy. Did spot a problem in their post though. Saltwater ich does not respond to increased temp from what I've read

Jeff Kim

Oh yes looked at your link. There it is hydrogen peroxide therapy. Did spot a problem in their post though. Saltwater ich does not respond to increased temp from what I've read
Hey just correcting myself. I was on my phone reading the article and they did not suggest a rise in temp as a solution.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Rise in temp may only accelerate the life cycle of the parasite, but is not a treatment in itself.

What procedure did you use for hypo?

Jeff Kim

Bare tank, 1.009 salinty (I dropped this gradually), when last white spot is observed in cycle wait 4 weeks. Fish did not make it. Also temp only works with fresh water Ich which is a different organism.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I never advocated any temp changes to treat as the result can do more harm than good. I believe I read that raising temp actually encourages reproduction at higher temps for SW ich.

Did the fish die following the 4 weeks treatment with hypo?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Not enough time for hypo effectiveness. Needs very min. 3 weeks since last white spot is seen.

Jeff Kim

Sorry that's what i meant. 2.5 weeks after the last white spot they died in the middle of the hypo salinity treatment.