Newbie 24 gallon all-in-one reefer.

3xplorer19

thanks. Question imforbis, how do I get rid of the micro bubbles the blows into my tank. What do you think is wrong. My sump is in the rear of the 24g Aquatop

3xplorer19

Imforbis, attached is a copy of my rear all in one sump, 24 gallon tank. Looking from right to left. I cut the sponge in half, lowered the sponge and placed the chaeto plant above the sponge so no debris will go to the protein skimmer. And placed a led white light for it to trive. From the skimmer then it goes to the 3 filter media to where I put a white filter pad on the very first top to reduce micro bubbles. Then last chamber is the return pump to display. Any tips and advices?

Attachments

lmforbis

seems like a good spot for the chaeto. If it doesn’t work out there are tiny refugiums you can buy. Like this one.
DC344762-7B8B-448D-BE0E-FB476892FFD3.jpeg

3xplorer19

Great and thanks.

Do you have any protein simmer that fits my all-in-one aquatop 24 gallon recife eco tank?

Dimensions:
Current protein skimmer is 2 ¾ in by 2 ½ in. & 17 in + for the height.

lmforbis

I would guess you’d have a hard time finding one that isn’t specifically made for your tank.
look up bubble traps. You can sometimes find aftermarket ones that will fit.

lmforbis

Even though the may look like plants these are animals not plants. Be careful getting too many and putting them too close to other species. They are aggressive. They use chemical warfare to kill nearby corals. Some are worse than others.

In the first pic the small yellow is one is an aptasia which is a pest anemone. You want to get rid of it. They will sting fish and corals. And take over the tank.
in the second pic it is not a pest but they can spread fast so some don’t like them. Personally I do.

3xplorer19

Thanks Imforbis! Another success of catching neon dottyback fish and the banggai cardinal ... waiting for a pickup now for donation with the hermits... now I only got 2 percula clowns midas blenny and yellow watchmen goby... so relieved. Then I got 4 snails and pistol shrimp. I saw a baby baby tiny hippo tang (finding dory) you think I can keep for a year bro?

3xplorer19

Copy! I’ll leave fishes the way they are. I’ll just look into corals. Thank you. Here are my collections at the moment

Attachments

Last edited:

3xplorer19

I went to a local fish store and get my parameters checked...since i have corals etc... i have to start dosing... i.e. i need to dose magnesium and alkaline... any recommendation on what i should do on my own? like do i have to buy a dosing kit system or what?

lmforbis

I’d suggest buying your own test kits for magnesium, calcium, and alkalinity. buy a good brand like RedSea not API. Do your own testing. Your results will be more accurate. Most stores use API WHICH IS NOT A GOOD TEST KIT. I’d also make your own salt water with a reef salt like instant ocean reef crystals. You shouldn’t need to dose if you do regular 10-20% water changes with a reef salt. if Switching to a reef salt and testing your own water shows a need to dose look at BRS two part (it’s really 3 parts) and their dosing calculator.

3xplorer19

If I have to make my own salt then I would need to buy a RODI system. What you recommend for my nano all in one 24 gallon? 1. How do you make an rodi water and 2. How do you mix saltwater. Sorry I should get the books for dummies for those.

lmforbis

with A 24 gallon I’d just buy distilled water. You’d only need 2.5 gal a week for a 10% water change your tank. Same stuff you use for top offs.
I use my RO for drinking water too, So I have it plumbed into my kitchen, under the sink. Only water for the tank goes through the DI resin. Never drink DI or distilled water it will destroy your gut. Plain RO is good to drink. I use it in the ice maker, great for coffe, you’ll never have to descale again.
l have this system (but 5 stage not 6). Super easy to install under the sink. No special skills or tool required. Doesn’t mess up the plumbing.
5A0FEFC3-F021-4536-9E6C-C6B52CBB144B.jpeg