newbie Question

Archcat

Hey all,

Long time reader first time poster!

I set up a 65 gallon Saltwater tank (fish not coral). Been running since Dec 27th, Cycled it for 4 weeks before I introduced fish. Put in 2 clown, Royal blue Tang, 3 peppermint shrimp and 3 snails. A week later I added a Potters Angel.

My question is this. This weekend I will do about a 15% water change. Can I make the saltwater a head of time. I use tap water. And if so should I do anything other than just mix in the salt and make sure the salinity is the same value of the tank? Also how long will it last for just sitting in a bucket in the basement, thinking I can always have a 5 gallon bucket ready to go.

I am also using a Marineland C-360 canister Filter. I know I know, sumps are better system.....but space and money are in play here. Since I only had fish in the tank for really 2 weeks...is it to early to do a filter cleaning (ie change carbon, replace sponge).

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Mark

lmforbis

I'd clean a canister filter weekly. You'd be better off with a hang on the back filter than a canister.
You can mix salt water ahead of time. I'd keep a power head in the bucket so it stays aerated until you need it. I make mine right after each water change so it is ready in case of an emergency. I don't bother to heat my water.
I'd stop the tap water. you can get RO water at the self serve water kiosk at Walmart for $0.33 per gallon. It isn't as good as RODI water but many times better than tap. I used to get 12 gallons a week until I bought my own system.

Lynn

one-fish

Best to start with RODI water RO is way better than tap..use this water source for your top offs as well. I keep mixed saltwater in buckets for weeks just aerate overnight before use.

Tayne

Can someone help me?

Set up a new saltwater 96L tank yesterday. Used RO water from the fish shop. Followed the guys instructions as he's been successful for over 25 years in saltwater aquariums.

We have added the water, filter, sand, heater and added 1 live rock. The water was perfectly clear.. today after we have arrived home from work put on the light as he stated just for an hour a day for the first week. But we have noticed that it's gone milky/cloudy..

Is this normal for the 2nd day of cycling?

Hey all,

Long time reader first time poster!

I set up a 65 gallon Saltwater tank (fish not coral). Been running since Dec 27th, Cycled it for 4 weeks before I introduced fish. Put in 2 clown, Royal blue Tang, 3 peppermint shrimp and 3 snails. A week later I added a Potters Angel.

My question is this. This weekend I will do about a 15% water change. Can I make the saltwater a head of time. I use tap water. And if so should I do anything other than just mix in the salt and make sure the salinity is the same value of the tank? Also how long will it last for just sitting in a bucket in the basement, thinking I can always have a 5 gallon bucket ready to go.

I am also using a Marineland C-360 canister Filter. I know I know, sumps are better system.....but space and money are in play here. Since I only had fish in the tank for really 2 weeks...is it to early to do a filter cleaning (ie change carbon, replace sponge).

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Mark
Hi Mark,

Congratulations with your set up!
Nice choice for the fish :) Do you any corals?

Zhenya

Shilpan

Some salt mixes need to be constantly mixed by powerheads etc otherwise they precipitate when stored, these are usually the high calcium and magnesium and carbonate salts