Newbie! Tank, water, sand. That’s where I’m at.

Jamo7

Hi everybody! I have wanted to do this for years but I’m just now converting over to salt water (now that all my freshwater fish have passed RIP) I have a 50 gallon corner model tank. I cleaned it out really well replaced with live sand, filled with salt water. Tested water (everything seems good nit, ph etc) I have a wave pump and hydrometer coming in the mail Tomorrow and coral rocks arriving next week. Not 100 percent sure where to place things: the pump and rocks. Or even if I’m doing this right sense my tank is so funky. I don’t plan on getting any creatures for awhile I want to make sure everything is good before I start to purchase them. Any suggestions help thank you!

beaslbob

I would add macro algaes to balance out and stabilize the system. Best behind a refugium which can be just some 1/4" plastic grid (egg crate) partition 2-3 inches from the side glass. Add some side lighting to help get the macros thriving.

my .02

Jamo7

I would add macro algaes to balance out and stabilize the system. Best behind a refugium which can be just some 1/4" plastic grid (egg crate) partition 2-3 inches from the side glass. Add some side lighting to help get the macros thriving.

my .02
Ok thanks! Are these living plants? Sorry I’m new to this, I can only do so much reading online. I also received a wave pump today. Any particular depth or direction you recommend? Or does it mater? So I have the filter pumping and two more directions I can point water flow. Coral rock is in the mail should be here Tuesday.

beaslbob

Ok thanks! Are these living plants? Sorry I’m new to this, I can only do so much reading online. I also received a wave pump today. Any particular depth or direction you recommend? Or does it mater? So I have the filter pumping and two more directions I can point water flow. Coral rock is in the mail should be here Tuesday.
Technically no. There are few actual plants that live in saltwater. Plants with circulation systems, roots, leaves and so on. A macro algae is actually an algae that looks like plants. Chaetomorphia looks like a green brillo pad.
that said the macro algae do essentially that same thing for the marine ecosystem and plants if FW systems. On 2003 when I reentered the marine hobby I asked several LFSs about plants and got basically nothing until one guy mentioned macro algae coming in a live rock. I add them in a partition on my 55g and within 3 weeks nitrates dropped down and the fish thrived and grew for the next several years. Just wish I had heard about macros before that.

I guess the save maker should just make waves. I think you judgement will be sufficient.

my .02