newbie to tank photography

leigh

ooh, wow, this is cool, just the other day i was thinking, why isn't there a forum for me to ask stupid photo questions on!
:)
so, i'd really like to start taking some shots of my tank, but can't afford a spiffy digital camera. wondering what the recommended low budget, non-fancy lighting, 35 mm option is?
i'm not looking for publishable, just something to help document progress.
thanks!
-leigh

ryebread

Actually you may want to turn back over to the digital camera idea.
Film cameras can be great for these types of shots, however, low-priced film cameras will not do a whole lot of good in documenting anything tank related. These "point-and-shoot" cameras are very limited in what you can achieve through glass.
A cheap digital camera on the other hand will at least give you the option to take a peek at what you are getting as an end result and play around with some of the settings to achieve what you want. This could happen with a $100-$200 camera easy.
Digital camera also have a much better close-focusing capability compared to similarly priced film cameras........not in every case but, certainly most.
You will probably find yourself wasting a lot more money on film processing and trying to find a setting that works than if you just went with a decent low-end digital camera.

leigh

ooops, sorry i was unclear. i actually do have a pretty nice 35 mm camera from a previous lifetime. i just don't have the appropriate equipment to set it up for aquarium usage. would you still recommend getting a digital camera? (remember, that could be $200 of corals :) )
thanks

leigh

erm, nikon 6006, 1:3.3-4.5 lens, simple built in flash, manual/automatic options...kinda your standard highschool yearbook photoeditor's camera :)

ryebread

hmmm..........that may be of some use.
Do you have an external flash for it?
Does the lens say MACRO on it anywhere?

leigh

i see nothing with "macro", i've got a "made in thailand". is that good for partial credit? j/k ;) i have no external flash, but i'm guessing i can probably pick one up fairly cheap?

ryebread

Flash shouldn't be too expensive. You will just want to make sure that you get one that is DEDICATED TO NIKON or else it won't do a whole lot for you.......other than possibly fry the camera. :eek:
If the lens is not a macro lens you will probably only be able to focus down to about 18" away.
You will want to set the camera up on a tri-pod or table if possible to prevent shaking.........turn off your built-in flash and shoot some shots. Try to be even with the tank because the glass will look distorted if you shoot at an angle.
If you pick up one of the external flashes, it will enable you to shoot flash pics with less chance of movement. With the flash higher up on the camera.......you don't have to worry as much about the reflection. ;)

leigh

terrific, thanks ryebread. you get my vote for mod :)
i'll giver a try tomorrow sans flash and see what i can do...then may do a lil flash browsing later.
thanks again!
-leigh