Niger trigger in a nano

EzNano

Now i hardly use forums as i have trust in my LFS for quality advice along with reading aricles. Neither have failed me yet, untill i heared something so absurd that it made me question.

Now from what im aware, captive bred niger triggers need about 400 litres to thrive in and on average get to 12-16" in captivity. And also NOT reef safe.

So.. i went to my lfs to pick up some water for my weekly water change..
Casual talk etc.. i diverted one of the staffs attention to a lovely huge clown trigger they recently had on show. My statement was "i love that fish, the way it swims and looks is amazing, i wish i had one iny nano". The staffs reply was "dream on dude" to both we looked and laughed.. then a follow up statement from the staff.. "although if you like triggers you should get a niger, ive had one in my 24g from 2" for 3 years, its now 10"... you can imagine i palmed my face, took my water and left

Went to the next LFS to pick up some frozen food for my fish..
Told the owner about the crazy story, unexpectingly he mentioned he has had one in his nano reef for 6 months with hermits and corals.. i felt like a newbie all over again..

Now if im not mistaken this is crazy? Right? Or do people actualy do this?

2quills

I don't think you'd catch anyone on any forum recommending it. There comes a point when a situation is pushing the limit to down right animal abuse.

I'd probably catch heat from a lot of folks for adding a small one to my 120g. But so far so good.

jay0705

I wouldn't do one in less then a 75. Now when small and i see them for sale small alot, fine a 29, 40 np. Once 4-6" its time for its final home.

jay0705

But to lfs i have heard them recommend yellow and hippo tangs in 60gal cube tanks!!!!! Yes some just want to make a sale. When you actually find a store that tells you no, that is a good store

EzNano

When you actually find a store that tells you no, that is a good store
Hahahahah, now that is ridiculously true. I like that tip.

Right, now the next question is that either these guys are lieing trying to make me order one or theure being genuine to keeping one in a nano.. if that is the case 2quills is right about the animal abuse.. should i say sometging to them.. what if they actually give people false information like this..

2quills

If it's the actual owners I would ask if they are being truthful or sarcastic. If truthful I probably would not support the store any more. Maybe even give a bad review online.

If it was a young person who just works there I could understand a lack of experience. But they are open swimmers just like tangs. 75-90g would be my absolute cut off limit. I only did it in my 120g cause it's 5ft long and I have excellent flow that i crank up twice a day to give them more exercise.

When I was a beginner my old LFS store knew it and wouldn't even sell me fish until I brought in a sample of water for them to test. But that was backcwhen the owner was in there daily. Now it's ran by his kids and they're all about the sale. I don't go to that store anymore.

jay0705

Its probably 50/50 when i buy fish i get asked what size is my tank. I was shocked when i wanted a mandy and i was asked and warned how picky they can be. I still go to that store. Idk how store dont figure it out. You can lie and make a sale but its your repeat customers that you need. If you bs them yea you made a sale, but now probably pissed them off and all there friends once they figure out what you did