Nori wrap..................a less messy way to feed nori seaweed.

HKfshkpr1

I stopped feeding nori for a while because it falls apart easily, floats aroud, gets sucked into filters and could affect the water quality.

One day I was eating Vietnamese egg rolls that were served with lettuce leaves it gave me an idea: thus "wrapped nori" was born, lol! I can't say it's my invention because someone may have tried ths before. Simply wrap the nori in a veggie leaf before clipping or rubber banding. It wroks good for me. Give it a try! You can use

yu choy.JPG
I have tried about 10 different veggies and Yu Choy( also called Choy Sum) came out on top for my fish and me. I enjoy eating the nuitritive "leftovers", including the stems, lol! You can use spinach or red lettuce, etc.

nori 1.jpg
Place nori in the middle. Nori can be folded but don't put too much.

nori 2.JPG
Fold up,

nori 3.jpg
then fold the sides in. Ready for the clip,
nori band.jpg
or use rubber bands.

Last edited:
The fish eat the leaves too? I tried putting some romaine in for my tang, but he was not interested. He loves the nori, but like you say, it makes a mess and doesn't seem to stay together long enough for the fish to make the most of it. Maybe I should try a different variety of leaf?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I've done a lot of that myself, however, more reading I found out that terrestrial foods are not all that nutritious for marine fish. Best to get marine algae sheets. Your fish will thank you.

HKfshkpr1

The fish eat the leaves too? I tried putting some romaine in for my tang, but he was not interested. He loves the nori, but like you say, it makes a mess and doesn't seem to stay together long enough for the fish to make the most of it. Maybe I should try a different variety of leaf?
If tangs are fed too well with frozen, pellets, flakes,etc. they may not eat the veggies. But veggies and nori "should be" part of their diet, because they offer antioxidants and fiber that tangs need. Try not to feed in the morning but offer the wrapped nori all day then feed small meals at 3pm and 8pm. Lettuce is prob the least nutritious veggie to offer to tangs though.......try Yu Choy or spinach. My tangs and dwarf angels would eat Yu Choy and others with the nori.

You can also try to let a little nori show. As soon as the tangs start to nip at it they should keep digging in for it. Good luck!

Last edited:

HKfshkpr1

I've done a lot of that myself, however, more reading I found out that terrestrial foods are not all that nutritious for marine fish. Best to get marine algae sheets. Your fish will thank you.
Isn't marine algae sheets similar to nori? Tangs are like sheep and cows and other herbivore: they eat all day but "don't" require highly nutritious foods. They do require roughage and antioxidants that veggies have. I am not saying feeding veggies "only". Tangs can get enough nutrition from 1 to 2 small feedings of flakes or pellets a day, plus the wrapped nori all day.

HKfshkpr1

Nori is usually seasoned. Best to try a variety of algae sheets.
Beth you are right that we need to be "selective" when buying nori for fish( I took it for granted that it's a "well know" fact). Never use the seasoned nori.

As a referance I have attached a label: note that 0% on fat, cholestrol, and sodium, 6% vit A, 4% vit C, 2% Iron. Also, seaweed is listed as the "single" ingredient on another label. I am confident this nori is OK( been using for a few months with good results).

Attachments