not sure if it is aZOANTHID or a aiptasia pls help lol

scooterblennie

I bougth this piece of LR from my LFS and it had 1 littel zoa on it
I got a 55 gal set up no sump no protine skimmer they are under
a 48" T5HO fixcher with one 54w 10k and one 420 actinic
lets see how it dose be nice guys and ladys i am 6 mouths new lol

yearofthenick

I would hate to say this, but that looks like aiptasia. It's like the weed of this hobby. It's a stinging anemone that is very difficult to kill, and has been bothersome for us fishkeepers for years and years.
If they don't get erradicated soon, they will multiply and take over your tank. Get some Joe's Juice and get rid of it before it spreads.
I'm so sorry to be the bearer of bad news! You seemed so excited to have it in your tank!

scooterblennie

Thank you so much for your info
I have been looking at this for a week now and looking at a lot of images of both
hopeing it was not a aiptasia but a zoatlhid so hping too get some oppions from you guys
how long or how big before we can tell more
heres a pic of some zoalthid i was hoping it was

yearofthenick

Here's a pic of aiptasia:

Zoanthids are smaller, have more defined patterns and will cluster closely together. You will find that the aiptasia in your tank will grow larger and multiply in different areas (usually not close together, like the pic above). They'll sting your corals and fish. I'm sorry to disappoint you, scooterblennie!

1guydude

touch it and if sucks back into the rock than its aptasia....
if it just bunches up into a ball than its a paly....looks more like a paly imo. Ive got a hitchhiking paly as well...ill post a pick later!

scooterblennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1guyDude http:///forum/thread/387254/not-sure-if-it-is-azoanthid-or-a-aiptasia-pls-help-lol#post_3405935
touch it and if sucks back into the rock than its aptasia....
if it just bunches up into a ball than its a paly....looks more like a paly imo. Ive got a hitchhiking paly as well...ill post a pick later!
i touched it and it colsed like a clam or something and it open back up it has some nice color to it though bright green in the actinci light
should i wait and see whel i thanke i am going to go a week or two frist and see
dose a aptasia photo like a zoatlhid

snakeblitz33

+1 on the aiptasia. If you want to get rid of it, that's fine. Aiptasia can actually be pretty interesting and unique and something for a pacific peppermint shrimp to munch on. Just depends on if you want to keep it or not. Infact, I know a LFS that sells it! lol!

1guydude

ya im still sayin paly....maybe a majano but not a aspestia!
Majano is another pest anemone!
aspestia have longer thiner tenticles and tend to be more cone shaped...

snakeblitz33

On second thought, it could very well be a mojano anemone. Still a pest, as 1guyDude said. But, I don't think that it's a palythoa at all.