Novahobbies official 110g rebuild thread

novahobbies

Nova, your tank is beautiful! what kind of lights are you running?
Geez, I'm sorry it took forever to respond to this!!! To answer your question, I'm running a pair of RapidLED Onyx fixtures tied to a Bluefish controller to time / dim the lights accordingly. Lately I've been toying with the idea of adding a pair of t5 bulbs to aid in Acro coloration, but I'm not sure if I want to go messing with it. Colors are nice, you'll see in an upcoming post, but could be better. My desire to change things up is warring with my KISS gut feeling.

2quills

Hey welcome back.

I added a pair of T5's to go with my AI hydra's and haven't been displeased with the results.

novahobbies

Sorry it's been forever since I"ve updated this, but here are some recent tank photos. My Rhomboid disappeared for no discernible reason about 2 months ago, but I now have a new one in QT thanks to a kind friend who was able to track one down for a very reasonable price. QT fish will be added after Christmas. That's about the only major change since I last posted, everything has just been "growing in" for now. Hope you like the pics...

novahobbies

Hey welcome back.

I added a pair of T5's to go with my AI hydra's and haven't been displeased with the results.
Thanks for that! Would you say it helped with your coral color, or growth, more? As you can probably see above, I haven't been too displeased by growth for most pieces. A few are definitely slow, however. My 'Yellow' porites is probably the slowest grower in the tank.

novahobbies

Finally, here's a FTS as of this morning, Dec 11th 2016:

Current fish list:

African Leopard Wrasse
Naoko's Wrasse
McCosker's Wrasse
Blue Spot Jawfish
Midas Blenny
Tiger Wardi Goby
Potter's Angelfish
Desjardini Tang

IN QT: Rhomboid Wrasse

2017 Plans:
Lineatus Wrasse
Flame Wrasse
Copperband Butterfly (I have some aptasia issues) :-\
Pair of Firefish or Citron gobies
CRAZY THOUGHT: Goldflake Ange. The prices are coming down on this fish. Somewhat. Probably never, but fish geeks gotta dream, right?

2quills

Hard to say for sure on color because I've been running them side by side from the begining. But I'd say it's helped a little bit with both.

Definitely helps with growth. They fill in some of the areas on coral that otherwise get shaded by the more focused light (less coverage) from the leds.

Been running ATI bulbs, 1 blue, 1 purple in hopes that it's helping with maximum color. But can tell you that some pieces in my tank have better color than their mother colonies at my LFS that has them under Orphec led fixtures alone.

novahobbies

Corals look amazing. What kind of camera are you using?
It's just a point and shoot, really, but it's a nice one. Olympus Stylus TG-3. It's waterproof and shockproof. Got it a couple years ago for a trip, but it's great for basic tank shots as well.

novahobbies

Been a looooong time since I updated this thread! I'm still reefkeepin', I'm still occasionally lurkin', more or less just doin' my thing (whatever the hell THAT is, I just don't know). So it's been a full year and change....almost 13 months, in fact....since I've last updated this page. We've weathered some storms, some literal and some metaphorical, down in my neck of the woods, but I'm happy to say that fish and tank have been performing well. Here's a quick stock list and status update, along with the obligatory full tank shot as of tonight, Jan 13, 2018:
Blue Spotted Jawfish, Opistognathus rosenblatti
Purple Tang, Zebrasoma xanthurum
Potter's Angel, Centropyge potteri
Red Firefish, Nemateleotris magnifica
Yellow Clown Goby, Gobiodon okinawae
Foxface Lo, Siganus vulpinus
Tiger Wardi Goby, Valenciennea wardii
2 Black Ice Clowns, Assholeus mcbitemeus
African Leopard Wrasse, Macropharyngodon bipartitus
Radiant Wrasse, Halichoeres iridis
Red Velvet Wrasse, Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis
Golden Rhomboid Wrasse, Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis
Lineatus Wrasse, Cirrhilabrus lineatus
And, in QT, coming out next week:
Midas Blenny, Ecsenius midas
Lunate Fairy Wrasse, Cirrhilabrus cf. lunatus (or possibly C. squirei)

The last fish I'm really interested in adding to this tank is a Copperband Butterfly and possibly a Blue mandarin, but otherwise we're done. The clownfish are fun to watch since they like to "host" in a large paly colony on the bottom of the tank. Equipment-wise we're about the same as last year. 29g sump with filter floss, a TLF phosban reactor, macroalgae fuge, protein skimmer and I dose 2-part + carbon with a 3 head bubble magus. ATO is done with simple float switches. I recently added a little food defroster cup on the side so they can feed as frozen shrimp thaw and fall through the grates....that's fun to watch. Otherwise, corals are growing, fish are getting fat, and (knocks very firmly on wood) things seem to be going.....swimmingly! Hope you like the pic:

20180113_174253_001a.jpg

novahobbies

I got a few fish photos from tonight as well.
First, the clown goby:
Clowngoby1.jpg

The Lineatus:
Lineatus.jpg

Golden Rhomboid
rhomboid.jpg

Red Velvet
Redvelvet.jpg

Radiant wrasse
Radiant.jpg

Clowns in their zoas
clowns.jpg

Red Firefish
Firefish.jpg

And lastly, the clown goby again. Because he's cute!
clowngoby.jpg

novahobbies

Updating because we're coming to a big close here. It's been almost 6 years since this tank's been up and running in this house. But it's time to come down. Next weekend, we're tearing it down.

novahobbies

As they say....all good things must come to an end. A little bittersweet, but time to move on.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Time to hit up Craigslist!