Novahobbies official 110g rebuild thread

novahobbies

Someone talk me out of it, please!
Went to the LFS for water. Saw 4 Tiger Queen Anthias in a holding tank, $14.99 each.
My stand isn't built, much less the tank filled or cycled. I have a minimum of 3 months before fish should go in here, and that's assuming I continue at the building pace I've set (sucks, but I can only build on weekends). But I DO have a 20g long tank already set up and cycled with nothing in it.

SOOOOOO tempted....

S

siptang

WHERE DID YOU SEE THIS????? I MIGHT MAKE THE DRIVE FOR THAT PRICES!!!

novahobbies

I'm not tellin. I'm going to get two of them this afternoon after work. 2 should be fine in a 20g QT for a while, yeah?
OK, I'll tell, but only if you promise not to steal all 4.

novahobbies

OK. I may regret this, but I called the store and had them hold two for me for this afternoon. For $15.00 per Tiger, I just can't pass that up. Thank goodness the QT is fully cycled. They're going to be in there for a while. I thought (very breifly) about moving them in with the horses, but they're just too active for the horse tank...and fishing them out again would be a serious PIA.
THIS is why we should always have a QT up and running!!

novahobbies

A peninsula style tank is one where the "back" of the tank is one of the short ends. the tank is fully viewable from both long sides as well as the opposite short side. All of your equipment (overflows, powerheads, etc) will be located on the narrow business end.
In short, the tank can either be used as a wall end, or it can stick out like a peninsula. Think of a map of Florida. We stick out like a sore thumb....or like a wanker in the wind, depending on your point of view.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391428/novahobbies-official-110g-rebuild-thread/40#post_3473937
OK. I may regret this, but I called the store and had them hold two for me for this afternoon. For $15.00 per Tiger, I just can't pass that up. Thank goodness the QT is fully cycled. They're going to be in there for a while. I thought (very breifly) about moving them in with the horses, but they're just too active for the horse tank...and fishing them out again would be a serious PIA.
THIS is why we should always have a QT up and running!!

LOL....We need pictures.

novahobbies

I went to check on them this morning, and they were still hiding under a rock. Let's see if they come out this afternoon. They took to the live brine at the store, so I'll be feeding live for a few days to keep the feeding response strong.
Wife doesn't like 'em.
She says they look plain. So I'll have to get a single Bartlett's when I introduce these to the tank to make her happy. From what I've read, I should be fine with the two species of Anthias as long as I introduce at the same time.

novahobbies

Still haven't gotten a good pic. They're coming out now, but as soon as they see me in the room they dash back under the rock. I have to peek around the corner to make sure they're out and active!

snakeblitz33

I'm sure when you feed them a pinch every time you go by the tank they will start coming out and begging for food. Won't be no time at all. :D
Can't wait for those pics!

novahobbies

Heh, I had to perform a fish rescue today. Seems one of the ornaments in the tank (a broken ruin-looking thing) was hollow cast, so an animal could theoretically get INSIDE between the inner and outer walls, all the way up into the ceiling of the ornament.
Which is exactly what one of the morons decided to do yesterday.
By this afternoon, with no attempted exit in sight, I broke apart the silly thing and let the fish free. I really don't think he could figure out how to get back OUT.

meowzer

LOL...That is soooo funny.....I actually had that happen in a FW tank.....I had 2 sardontis in my cichlid tank.....one disappeared rather quickly and we figured it died
about 6 months.....YES.....6 months later.....we were redoing some ornaments and we found it in the top part of one......apparently it was getting some food, but was nowhere as big as the other one....lol
I still have 2 and this was years ago

novahobbies

Both died. Within hours of each other. First one last night, second one this morning. I was too pissed to even fish the body out this am. I'll retest the water this afternoon just to be sure. One dying, that's upsetting. Two dying....there's a problem somewhere. Either with the QT, or with the collection. They did eat live brine....not much though.
I've had 4 fish in this QT, and all 4 have died. Three while still in quarantine, one after a successful QT in the display horse tank. I'm honestly starting to suspect a problem at MY end. It's a 20g tank with a HOB fuge/skimmer (aftermarket), a Subcurrent internal surface skimmer filter, and t5 lighting. There is caulerpa in this tank and recently a dino outbreak.
I'm at the point where I'm thinking of sterilizing and re-cycling the QT completely.

S

siptang

dude I'm sorry that you had to go through this... it sucks but it seems like that's the way with anthias... I had bought 5 only to have 1 alive...