Novahobbies official 110g rebuild thread

novahobbies

I just got back from Lowe's, and I had to post this!
I ordered a roll of Birch edging veneer online for instore pickup today. $6.50. When I got to the store I stopped by the lumber section and grabbed a 1x12x72 piece of sanded white pine for the shelves. $8.99. I also grabbed some stainable wood filler for the nail holes. $3.50.....so we're up to $18.99 plus tax.
Are you with me so far? Good.
I get to the service counter and ask for my delivery. He can't find it. He goes back to the isle where the veneers are kept. I poke around on my phone for 10 minutes while he's gone. He comes back, chagrined and empty-handed, and tells me they're "in stock, but he can't find it - the shelf is empty." In apology, he offers to give me a discount on the merchandise I have, and he'll order the veneer. EVEN BETTER, he offers to give me the veneer free since I have to drive back. "No problem," I say. He rings the wood and filler up for $5.00, tax included.
Now the sale is completed, and I walk back to the isle with the veneer. I look BEHIND the display (not very far, mind you!), pull the unopened stock box of birch veneer out of the dustball it's sitting in, open it, and grab a pack of veneer. While I'm at it I stock the empty shelf. I bring the veneer back to the guy who "looked for it," told him where it was and what I did with the rest. He said, "Oh, I thought I looked there!"
But sure enough, he refunded the online purchase and gave it to me free of charge. I gotta hand it to him for being such a stand up guy at the register, but seriously.....20 bucks worth of stuff for $5.00, all because someone didn't know how to use the EyeGoogle!

snakeblitz33

Wow - that's awesome. I'm glad he was workin' with yah.
Now you can finish the bookshelves! yay!
When are you getting your tank on the stand??

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/391428/novahobbies-official-110g-rebuild-thread/80#post_3475621
Wow - that's awesome. I'm glad he was workin' with yah.
Now you can finish the bookshelves! yay!
When are you getting your tank on the stand??
Well, I cut the shelves down to size so they're nice and tight. Marked the holes for the shelf tabs...but of course I've misplaced the effin' tabs, so that sort of took the wind out of my sails. Now I have to go into the Doom Room (our temporary storage room) and try to find them. Ugh.
When is the tank going back up? Not until the stand is 100% done. It's pretty heavy, and I won't ask the Wife to help me lift it back up until I'm sure it's not going anywhere again. So I still have a ways to go. Slow and steady. Mainly Slow.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391428/novahobbies-official-110g-rebuild-thread/80#post_3475638
Well, I cut the shelves down to size so they're nice and tight. Marked the holes for the shelf tabs...but of course I've misplaced the effin' tabs, so that sort of took the wind out of my sails. Now I have to go into the Doom Room (our temporary storage room) and try to find them. Ugh.
When is the tank going back up? Not until the stand is 100% done. It's pretty heavy, and I won't ask the Wife to help me lift it back up until I'm sure it's not going anywhere again. So I still have a ways to go. Slow and steady. Mainly Slow.

Yeah, it's pretty heavy. I know - I got one in storage right now. LOL.
No kind of timeline? That's a shame lol
So, how near done is your stand anyway?

rickross23

YIKES.  Is it a small store?
HUGEEE! ONE. THEY HAD 1 REGISTER OPEN....HOME DEPOT IS MUGS BETTER. I FINALLY SETUP MY SKIMMER! IT'S COOOOL! I CAN UPLOAD PICS IF YOU WANT. THE THINGS A BEAST. SETUP YESTERDAY AND SKIMMING ALREADY....IT NEEDS A 2 DAY BREAK IN PERIOD THOUGH. WELL DONE RED SEA....

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/391428/novahobbies-official-110g-rebuild-thread/80#post_3475642
Yeah, it's pretty heavy. I know - I got one in storage right now. LOL.
No kind of timeline? That's a shame lol
So, how near done is your stand anyway?
OK, I've been shamed. Heh.
Here's an off-the-cuff timeline pulled straight from you-know-where. Be aware there are a LOT of assumptions here. I'll probably go buy new tabs or try to find the old ones tomorrow, and drill the holes for the shelf tabs as well. So, shelves will be up tomorrow. I MAY spend an extra $20 this week and get a "handypanel"* plus some 1/2 inch quarter-round for the second cabinet door, but you can imagine with the trip coming up how I'm a little reluctant to use spending money right now.
This weekend is going to be mainly spent packing. I will probably get all the seams and nail holes filled with wood filler this weekend, however, and I'll go ahead and apply my veneer strips to the few exposed plywood edges as well.
Once that's done, I doubt ANYTHING will happen until after the trip. So let's assume that. I'll probably haul the main stand and the canopy outside on the weekend of the 15th, sand and stain it over the weekend, and paint the inside of the stand with a good marine grade white. If I'm lucky I can get that done in one weekend. I'll leave it outside for the week so I can poly it in the evenings during the 18th through the 21st, then I'll bring it in and trade spaces so I can haul the cabinets and bookcases outside for sanding/staining on the weekend of the 23rd/24th. I will also try to paint the base plate this weekend. Again, I'll keep them outside for the week of the 25th-29th to poly-coat the side pieces. The weekend of June30/July1st will be The Big Day(s) to bring all the pieces together and place the tank in its final home.
Hopefully at some point while I'm doing this, I'll be able to order my Tahitian Black substrate and the LED fixtures. But I have to accept the possibility that the "Tank Build" might be completely separate from the "Stand Build."
I think to be conservative I'll say the stand should be done by the end of June, and the Tank should be done and ready to cycle by end of July. So I can start QTing fish during August, and hopefully by end of August I'll have a fully cycled tank ready to receive the first batch of fish from the QT tanks. Almost 1 year exactly from when we bought the house.
* "Handypanel," a 2x4 foot piece of cabinet grade plywood for people who don't need a full size sheet, so lumber yard gets to charge twice what the equivalent size piece would normally cost because I don't want to haul a bigass chunk of useless wood home.

novahobbies

I found my Thingies!
OK, so that didn't sound good. But at least I found my shelf support tabs! And I was all set to drill the holes - despite the late hour - until I realized it would be a moot point. I STILL wouldn't be able to put the shelves in place.
The bookcases are 14 & 7/16ths inch wide on the inside. I cut my shelves down to 14 & 3/8ths, so I had 1/32nd of an inch on either side of the shelf. The shelf tabs, however are at least 1/16th (and more like 3/32nds) wide on each side.
Short story long, I get to cut down all 4 shelves by a sawsbreadth tomorrow afternoon. THAT should be fun. And I won't upset the neighbors tonight; I'll drill the holes for the tabs tomorrow also.

flower

LOL...I think the flowers on the walls of your bedroom have affected you. I thought only women called their whatchmacallits "thingies" ...You redeemed your man card I guess with the sawsbreath to be taken off the shelf you're making. Wouldn't it be safer to use a plane? I really like you being able to type and communicate with us using all of your fingers.

novahobbies

I have a few good antique wood planes, but the knives need to be sharpened. Otherwise yes, I would. I've even got an old drawknife somewhere packed away (that's SHARP!) but I won't use that for fear of managing to disembowel myself with my luck.
As for my Man Card......
....Dude(ette). I've been married almost 11 years now. Happily. Need I say more?

S

siptang

nova - thought I would let you know.
Allfish in tamarac is having purple tangs for 99 bucks and you can use the $5 coupon. ;)

novahobbies

Be careful of that joint. I have NEVER been pleased with the fish in that place.....HLLE, ******, dead fish in the tanks, you name it. I would QT anything I get from there for a min of 2 months if I were you.
I don't know, maybe I'm jaded by the "big box store" mentality they have....I go there from time to tome (there's a great hobby shop in that plaza!) but only for dry goods, etc. I'll probably buy my sand from them, for instance.

novahobbies

Besides, I'm already flying in the face of convention by planning a PBT in this setup. LOL, imagine if I told people I had added a PBT AND a Purple to a 110g tank! Stakes would be sharpened, torches would be lit, and the tang police would come callin'.......

S

siptang

I ALWAYS QT everything from places that I don't know and yes that includes lfs lol.
I always get things from my reef club these days and it has been a blessing for me.

novahobbies

Shelf tab holes are drilled, and bookshelves installed:

And THAT is the last thing I intend to do to the stand tonight. Crappy day at work, rainy and dreary evening.....I'm orderin' me a pizza, gonna sit my arse down on the couch and watch Underworld Awakening. Don't even care if it's a lousy film. 5 words: Kate. Beckinsdale. In. Black. Leather. Thank You and Good Night.

2quills

. Duuuuuude! I didn't even realize that there was actually any acting going on in those films. I think the shelves look great. Maybe not beckinsale in black great, but I do see a serious thing of beauty coming to form here. Very nice!

novahobbies

Thanks!
The movie was blah. Not bad, not great. Sure glad I didn't wast theater money. A lot of the acting was pretty static, writing was two-dimensional. But still.....K.B. kicks butt six ways from Sunday, so it's still fun.
I just made my wife's blood boil a little. I put a Star Trek model on top of the crosspiece between the bookcases. I'm desensitizing her so it won't be such a shock when it happens for real.