Orange Correline Algae Needed

merredeth

Well, I got some GREAT carribean rock form my LFS the other day and it had some super lookingorange correline algae on it.
He only purchased 50 pounds of it because it was a new supplier that was going to charge him the same price as he pays for fiji. So, he purchased 50 pounds out to check out the supplier with the agreement that I would buy half of it.
After a few weeks dealing with the bad supplier who didn't mail it out for weeks, he finally received his order. The stuff looks pretty good. I purchased half of his order and he discounted it more than he normally does for me (my daughter works for him) because I had to clean it myself. I was okay with that and took it home and cleaned it.
The stuff looked great with lots of orange correline algae. It looks great with the dark purple correline algae. So here is the problem - I want more orange correline algae. Besides doing the scrapings and keeping the calcium in good parameters is there any way to grow a specific color? I have been using the product Purple Up to help increase the purple correline growth and it does a magnificent job. I'm thinking Purple Up would only increase the purple colors. Does anyone know for sure and does anyone have an ideas on how to get more of the orange seeded into my tank? I'm about maxed out as far as how much rock I can put into my main tank.
Thanks for any suggestions...
Denise M.

oceana

Originally Posted by Merredeth
Well, I got some GREAT carribean rock form my LFS the other day and it had some super lookingorange correline algae on it.
He only purchased 50 pounds of it because it was a new supplier that was going to charge him the same price as he pays for fiji. So, he purchased 50 pounds out to check out the supplier with the agreement that I would buy half of it.
After a few weeks dealing with the bad supplier who didn't mail it out for weeks, he finally received his order. The stuff looks pretty good. I purchased half of his order and he discounted it more than he normally does for me (my daughter works for him) because I had to clean it myself. I was okay with that and took it home and cleaned it.
The stuff looked great with lots of orange correline algae. It looks great with the dark purple correline algae. So here is the problem - I want more orange correline algae. Besides doing the scrapings and keeping the calcium in good parameters is there any way to grow a specific color? I have been using the product Purple Up to help increase the purple correline growth and it does a magnificent job. I'm thinking Purple Up would only increase the purple colors. Does anyone know for sure and does anyone have an ideas on how to get more of the orange seeded into my tank? I'm about maxed out as far as how much rock I can put into my main tank.
Thanks for any suggestions...
Denise M.

dont count on it staying that color. normaly that color is associated with the darker less o2 rich areas. forinstance when i pull a rock up that was in the sand of our tank the coraline will be a super bright orange. after being in the light it will die or turn purple over time