Orange Feather Duster in sump!

dustintx

So I recently noticed some strange growths on a small piece of rock rubble in my sump. On the same rock are black tube like formations with what appears to be tenticles sticking out of it. Also on the same rock is what I believe to be a small feather duster. It is in a white tube like structure with orange feather dusters out waving around.

2quills

They've never been a problem in my tanks and usually I can find dozens if i look hard enough.

They cast a web of mucous that helps them catch particals of food in the water column that can supposedly irritate corals.

But they are extremely common not a big deal unless you have an extreme outbreak of them.

dustintx

They've never been a problem in my tanks and usually I can find dozens if i look hard enough.

They cast a web of mucous that helps them catch particals of food in the water column that can supposedly irritate corals.

But they are extremely common not a big deal unless you have an extreme outbreak of them.
Ok,so I bought a hammer a few weeks ago and noticed these in the plug it is glued to (no relation to my sump). Anyway,I noticed some mucus flaying around the heads today but didn't seem to bother them. I'm wondering now if that mucus was coming from a snail? Hmm....I shoulf check.
Is it true that yellow wrasses eat these?

2quills

Ok,so I bought a hammer a few weeks ago and noticed these in the plug it is glued to (no relation to my sump). Anyway,I noticed some mucus flaying around the heads today but didn't seem to bother them. I'm wondering now if that mucus was coming from a snail? Hmm....I shoulf check.
Is it true that yellow wrasses eat these?
I've never owned a yellow wrasse so I can't confirm that. But I used to have a 6-line wrasse that did. That was back before it commited suicide via my mag scraper.

Wrasses are generally good for helping to keep rocks clean of most pests. But they can decimate the beneficial life quickly as well so they need decent sized tanks with lots of rock work.

They also tend to have a habit of not being the best of tank mates towards a lot of fish.

I was not sad when mine died.

The mucous could be from the snails or corals themselves.