our younger years

sbsb

Originally Posted by Key00west
Robert Plant???
Nope, but a lot of us were influnced by him. My voice is less raspy, but clear and strong. Kind of like a Rob Halford sound, and able to hit the high notes. We were just a local cover band called The Ripper. We did some Judas priest, Scorpions, Black Sabbath and similar types of music. I guess we really would come under the heading of a 80s metal band. It was a blast, 2 lead guitars, bass, drums and front man. The band was around for a while with a different name and one of the guitarists doing lead vocals. They decided that a front man would give the band more of a focal point, which it did. My real name is almost impossible to pronounce, so I went by the name Killer. It sounds pretty stupid now, but seemed cool at the time. You know, the one-name wonders that are still prevalent to this day.
So anyway, I now work at a stupid job that I hate. It's the frustrated musician syndrome. You can't make a living at your life’s passion so you settle for doing s**t to live.

sbsb

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I still look just like in the picture. The only difference is at the time that photo was taken; I was 165LBS, now 245LBS with thinning hair and a sad look on my face. Sometimes I regret the wild lifestyle having not killed me. I now drink a fifth of whiskey just to make it through the day, and forget what could have been. I have no friends, because I don’t want any. Nobody wants you when your down and out, and I’m embarrassed at what I have become. I sit solitary in my apartment watching crap on TV. We could have made it big with some of our own songs, but for every band that makes it, there are a hundred just as good that don’t. At least a lot of the

[hr]
rockers died when they were young and on top, and that’s how we remember them.
Look at any 80s rock bands that are back on tour again. They look like mere shadows of their former selves. I have heard 1 song from the new priest album and I would never have known that is even them. Did Halford lose his voice? The last 30 seconds are reminiscent of them at their height, but the rest of the song is them trying to fit into what is the current style. No killer guitar solos, (that’ out of style) that sucks, big time. Halford either won’t or cant belt out and sustain some of his old STUNNING vocals.
I'm a fan of Aerosmith, but the rhythm guitar player (can't remember his name) looks like he belongs in a nursing home.
Sreve Tyler looks more like Joan Rivers every day, LOL. Don't get me wrong, god bless the guys that keep rocking (except the rolling stones, who I have never liked) because they still have a driving passion, and there aren't that many people that can use that to make a living.

sbsb

You know, after reading about feeling sorry for myself, I have a reborn sense of getting back to what I was doing before I went down the tubes, I lost 87 LBS. before that picture was taken, and I know I can do it again. A proper diet, high in protein and low in fat and carbohydrates, combined with exercise, is what did it for me the last time. My hair has thinned, as it was before I had the proper nutrition, so I think that it will come back. I don’t have male pattern baldness; it’s just my self-destructive living that has made my body go down hill. My doctor says I’ll have to go into detox to get off the hard drinking, and I’ve decided to go for it. I’m going to go sober so I don’t have to forget the old days. My face is still in good shape with little wrinkling, but that wont show with sunglasses anyway. I’ll have to form a new band because all of the other guys have either taken regular day jobs, or are as screwed up as myself. Young hard rocking musicians are readily available, so I don’t see that as a problem.
So I have a firm resolve to remake myself to my previous state. I’m going to go for it and if all I can do is play is bars, I’ll still make as much money as I do filling vending machines.
As a previous post said, “rock on,” I’m going for it. My voice is still strong, so I think I can do it.
Rock on everybody; see you on the other side