overgrowth of "green algae" - need help

baloo4

I am having an overgrowth of green algae and can't seem to get rid of it. I am doing water changes and also does not get very direct light. Lights are on for about 8 hours. What is this and how do I control it? I do not have any cleaners because my Red Coris Wrasse treats them as a snack. Any suggestions?

mary80

I had a similar problem we did a big water change cut down the lights to 5 hours and cut down on the feeding also we got some cleaners they really help

flower

Hi,

This is what I would do, there are many other methods, but one thing is certain, you have a phosphate (PO4) and or Nitrate (NO3) problem.

The reason for water changes is to remove nitrates and phosphates...Since this stuff already has such a foot hold, it's time to bring out the big gun. Get a phosphate remover, I have used Phosban in the past with great results (follow the instructions to the letter). I hate to use chemicals, but that stuff grows super fast. I would do water changes once a week, or even small ones every day until I got it under control. Rinse frozen foods in a fishnet before you feed it to the fish... and if you use flakes, or pellets, stop and change the food.

baloo4

Still having issues. What type of creatures can I buy that will help control/eat it? snails, urchin, sea slugs etc?
Also tried Phosban with no luck.

snakeblitz33

You do have nutrient issues. Use rodi water if your not already. Water changes won't manually remove it, lol. I would manually go in and remove it, then turn the rocks completely over. Then, decrease your lights and your feeding. I would also look into protein skimming, increase water change frequency and quantity. I'd also maybe look into other forms of filtration like algae scrubbers or biopellet reactors in combination with s protein skimmer.

baloo4

Already have protein skimmer. I'll try more water changes. Lights are kept off except for 5-6 hours.

snakeblitz33

I would manually remove it and turn the rocks over and start looking at ways to reduce doc's on a regular basis. I wish you the best!

thresher9

I had a similar out break a while back that would not go away, but I can't remember if it was brown or green algae. Anyway I did a few things to get rid of it, but what really got rid of it all in the end was a yellow tang and a flame angel. I fought that algae for half a year with no luck. I tried snails, crabs, slugs, countless water changes, lighting change, and manually pulling the stuff out, but it always came back. After I got them I took out as much of the algae as I could and the fish just kept up with it until it was all gone. So if you have a big enough tank maybe getting one or both of those fish (or type of fish) would help. Just remember if you get an angel and have coral it might eat it, mine didn't, but you never know.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloo4 http:///t/396396/overgrowth-of-green-algae-need-help#post_3535155
Still having issues. What type of creatures can I buy that will help control/eat it? snails, urchin, sea slugs etc?
Also tried Phosban with no luck.

Hi, and welcome to the site...You can get a GFO reactor to combat PO4...an Aquaripure filter will remove all traces of nitrates. The best solution is keeping macroalgae, since it feeds on both and starves out the other, (it's not a fast fix and hair algae is a FAST, FAST grower) so do as snake said to get the hair algae under control, or it will starve out the macros before it has a chance to clean things up.

I understand about the extra nutrients, a common problem when you can't keep a regular CUC. An urchin will clear algae like a lawn mower, and most fish leave them alone, brittle (not green) stars or serpent stars, will keep the rocks clear of food that gets down in there, they stay where the fish can't reach them...I don't know if urchins will eat hair algae, but they will eat the slime algae before it becomes hair algae. A seahare will, but the critter is delicate to try and keep alive, and once the food source is gone they starve.