Pairing clownfish

I have 1 clownfish for about 5 months and it is huge, I recently got a new one and just want some tips on how to pair them, the second one is much smaller and in a breeding box in display tank.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Not likely to happen. Pairs are reared in family groups. Most likely the dominate larger clown will harass the new aquire, possibility to death.

Not likely to happen. Pairs are reared in family groups. Most likely the dominate larger clown will harass the new aquire, possibility to death.
The thing is, the big one doesn't even pay attention to the small one, he just goes to his little corner

2quills

Plotting how he/she is going to gobble the fins off of the one in the box lol. Kidding

You could get lucky and it may turn out ok I've seen it happen. Just don't be surprised if it does since it is common in those situations.

What type of clowns are they?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Not yet, but she will. He is going to his corner because he's already feeling the stress. I'd suggest you find him a new home, unless you have a large tank.

Plotting how he/she is going to gobble the fins off of the one in the box lol. Kidding

You could get lucky and it may turn out ok I've seen it happen. Just don't be surprised if it does since it is common in those situations.

What type of clowns are they?
Ocellaris 1 normal 1 black

Not yet, but she will. He is going to his corner because he's already feeling the stress. I'd suggest you find him a new home, unless you have a large tank.
Could I try and if they do start fighting I'll take him out and put him on other tank?

2quills

If they're both tank raised fish vs wild caught you may have better odds. The black one being a designer clown is but where did you get the other one?

Do you have a second tank already set up? What size tanks?

If they're both tank raised fish vs wild caught you may have better odds. The black one being a designer clown is but where did you get the other one?

Do you have a second tank already set up? What size tanks?
The other tank is set up, the main tank is 20g, both tank bred

2quills

Well that's probably smaller than I would want to risk but ultimately the choice and their well being is in your hands.

If things go bad they can go bad faster in small tank.

Update: I let the small one out today, the big one did the seizure thing a few times, and sometimes when they get close to each other, the small one fakes dying, and right after, the big one does the same. Also when the big one swims too far from the small one, the big one rushes back... any ideas or clues that means something? She hasn't physically attacked the small one yet, only rush back and swim along and then away.

2quills

Sounds like they're not quite sure what's going on yet if they're both showing signs of submission. Rolling over is a submissive posture.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Just hope for the best! But, keep very close eye out and have a plan in place if the small one starts to come under attack.

2quills

It's probably the big one saying to the little one..."Look, if you don't do this (roll over) when I tell you then I will thrash you to pieces, Little Man".

2quills

Step 1: Upload a video to YouTube.

Step 2: click the share option under the video on your youtube page then click copy link.

Step 3: Create a comment here. 2 options to the right of the smileys is the option to upload a video. It looks like two strips of film. Click on it and past the link you just copied then click the option to embed the link. Voila!

Or just copy and share the link to the youtube page the video is on and we will find it.