Percula vs. Ocellaris clown fish

My first project is a 29 gallon oceanic biocube live reef tank I was going to include two clown fish but Im stuck on which species.... I want to include an anemone in the future and want the clowns to have really no trouble hosting but I don't want them to be wild caught...

rickross23

Get percs. I think they are prettier. Sadly, I have ocellaris. They are soooo peaceful. They don't touch any fish. They mind their own business. Mine DO NOT host my nems. I have 2 rbtas and a sebae. They don't show any interest. I'd toy want one that is almost guaranteed to host, get a maroon clownfish and rose bubble tip anemone. Nations are BIG, AGGRESSIVE fish. They get 5-6" and they will kill basically anything in your size tank, so they would have to be the only fish.

Which are better for beginners which are easier to care for?
Will they fight with a yellow watchman goby and fire fish?

rickross23

They all are the same care level/hardiness. I suggest tank raised clowns. If you want a firefish and goby, and you want the maroon, I suggest getting the firefish and goby first, then getting a small pair of the maroons.

btldreef

By nature, Ocellaris in pairs tend to be a little more aggressive and have a larger territorial area. Percula's are not as territorial. As far as care level, they're the same and both reach about the same size. There is very little difference between Ocellaris and Perculas, so in all honesty, I'd go with what you like the look of better, just know that paired ocellaris, especially if they ever mate do tend to be more aggressive.
I've always kept ocellaris and ocellaris morphs and really never had an issue, even when they were breeding. The only time they every attacked another fish was when my flame angel tried to eat the eggs.
A maroon clown would be a terrible choice for this size setup.

Ok so since my local pet store doesn't have ocellaris I think I'll go with the percula but if they get a new shipment I'll go back to the ocellaris I just think the ocellaris have more vibrant colors Nd have cuter faces...

Ok so since my local pet store doesn't have ocellaris I think I'll go with the percula but if they get a new shipment I'll go back to the ocellaris I just think the ocellaris have more vibrant colors and
have cuter faces...

mr. limpid

Here is a suggestion ask the LFS if they could put a anemone in with there clowns. Then buy the anemone and clown (that is or are hosting it together). If only 1 is hosting make sure to buy the opposite size of the hosting clown (better chance of mating that way). This how I purchased one of my clowns and it still took several months after getting it home to host the anemone.

mr. limpid

One anemone would fill this tank, but if you only want the 2 clowns and the one anemone you would be fine. If you want others in with them I would say no anemone. A sebae minimum tank size is 30gal. it will take several years for it to reach full size.

Well I was going to include...
Fish:
Ocellaris or percula clown fish (2)
Yellow watchman  goby and Pistol shrimp pair
 Pacific cleaner shrimp
fire fish goby (2) or a small reef safe wrasse

Ok I'll give it some thought I will either go with the list I gave before and some other coral that with host the clowns or just the clowns and the anemone

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/392064/percula-vs-ocellaris-clown-fish#post_3479670
Frog spawn or hammers have been used by clowns B4 (no guaranty), both corals are low level light required.
Sometimes the clowns just bother the coral until it dies, corals are not meant to be a host for clowns. There is never a guarantee that the fish will host with anything. Mine liked the hoses from the canister filter and ignored the anemone and the coral. I have also had clowns that wallowed the coral so much it wouldn't open and starved to death.
Do not get a clown if what you want is to see it host with anything..get the fish only if you like the fish as is.