Phsycotic Foxface

ifirefight

I have had him in the QT for about a week. Every morning I think he is dead..he is lying on his side wedged into a rock and his color is terrible.He is the only fish in the QT. A few minutes after the lights go on hes good as new. Swimming around ...beautiful color...eating ...etc...Checked and RE-checked levels...all are good. I have read reports the these fish act strangely...but this seems excessive.This fish seems to have multiple personallities....maybe I will call her Sybil....

flcandy

I have a Kupang damsel that does that. He gets white when I turn the lights on or off. May just be that they dont know the tank or something, I just moved mine and he now has a hidie hole and isnt so spastic.

ginarox

thats just there nature,,,i think everyone on here can agree to that.....have a great night,,,

michaeltx

thats his camo colors when they get scared or sleeping and trying to blend in thats what they do. its all natural with this fish and many others though foxfaces are just EXTREME when it comes to como LOL
Mike

ifirefight

Originally Posted by efishnsea
Mine does the same, so yours is not alone!!!!

It is just disheartining,to see the fish on its side every morning... I take a lot of pride in keeping my levels in check...I was wondering if I did something wrong...I checked and RE-CHECKED all is fine. I do like the look of the fish...(when its not all freaked out) so I guess I will live with the drastic color changes....It amazes me at how quickly it can change color patterns.....

jenni620

mine does the color change thing too! he doesn't sleep on his side though. he stays in a normal position, totally funky color, and his spines sticking up. it's kinda cool!

eelski

mine does it also, colors get all crazy - all black sometimes. u ever saw a film like stuff come off him?? its happened a couple times. it dont stay in tank long. i was wondering if that was poison shedding or something?

nigerbang

It's common for Foxface to do that...As posted above its more like a defensive measure...To blend in...Nothing wrong at all...FF seem rather Skittish then other fish..Great inhabitant though....Maybe if I can find one large enough I can add him to my tank..

rainbowsix

lol mine does this as soon as the halides are off. I have the MH and the actinics going at the same time, so as soon as the MH is off he almost immediately goes and wedges himself under the filter intake tube, spines erect, and looks dead from loss of color. Soon as lights come on in the morning, he is ALIVE

my fish goes up the the powerhead and stays on it, then i think he is dead, and gonna net him and he swims to the bottom of the tank....

sc0rp_xiii

careful with that Niger, I just took my large FF back to the LFS b/c it killed my passer angel. A FF will use it's spines in defense and with a finicky fish, a more aggressive fish doesn't have to do much to put it on the defensive.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by sc0rp_XIII
careful with that Niger, I just took my large FF back to the LFS b/c it killed my passer angel. A FF will use it's spines in defense and with a finicky fish, a more aggressive fish doesn't have to do much to put it on the defensive.

Thanks for the heads up...He would be with an eel and a 4" Grouper...So I might have to err on the side of caution..