Poly reactor

Does anyone run purigen in a poly reactor? I have a 75 gal tank with a 20 gal sump, asm g1 skimmer, and would like to add some chemical media. I have heard power filters and canister filters are nitrate factories. I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to run a emperor 400 with phosban,purigen, and chemipure.I would eliminate the bio wheels and pads and would just keep chemical media would this cause high nitrates or be helpful to my tank?Would a poly reactor with Purigen be more work better?
thank you for any replys

srfisher17

Originally Posted by piccasotrigger
http:///forum/post/2727738
Does anyone run purigen in a poly reactor? I have a 75 gal tank with a 20 gal sump, asm g1 skimmer, and would like to add some chemical media. I have heard power filters and canister filters are nitrate factories. I was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to run a emperor 400 with phosban,purigen, and chemipure.I would eliminate the bio wheels and pads and would just keep chemical media would this cause high nitrates or be helpful to my tank?Would a poly reactor with Purigen be more work better?
thank you for any replys
Do you have enough LR to support the tank if you remove a power/canister filter? I think using a reactor for phosban would be ok; but probably overkill for the other chemical media. Purigen & ChemiPure do the same thing; and I really like ChemiPure. I've used it for years. the emperor would be fine for all the media, including the phos-ban. BTW; these filters are not "nitrate factories, IMO. I think they may have gotten this label because they are often used by beginners who don't have enough mature LR to support de-nitrifing bacteria.If you keep the mechanical media (sponge, pad, whatever) clean; they can be very useful.In spite of all the bad press, bio-wheels are very good bio-filters. Just rinse the sludge off the wheels in used tank water when they slow down; but don't scrub all the gunk off---that is housing the nice bacteria.