Popeye in Coral Beauty

Discussion in 'Fish Disease & Treatment' started by Sharkbait hoohaha, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Hi everyone.
    I recently got a juvenile coral beauty (about 1 1/2"). His color is great, and he has been (and still is) eating well in the QT tank (Mysis, bloodworms, and veg mix). I have been supplementing the food with Zoe & garlic, but I recently switched to using Seachem's vitality + garlic. PH is 8.2. The calibrated refractometer reads 1.023. There is no detectable ammonia, nitrates, or nitrites in the tank. Temp is at 80.

A couple of days ago, I noticed that one of his eyes is bulging and cloudy. Sorry, he wont stand still long enough for me to get a clear picture, but it is pretty clear that it is popeye. Since there doesn't seem to be a problem with the water quality, the only thing I can think of is that he bumped the eye on something. I had only PVC pipes in the bare tank for a long time, but I recently put in a fake barnacle that had several small holes that he liked to swim through. I think he must have hit it on a trip through there.

Anyway, I did a 30% water change (on a 29 gal QT). On the advice of my LFS, I bumped the temp up a couple of degrees and started treating with Seachem's stress guard. It is supposed to be an antiseptic in addition to a stress reliever. It looks like the swelling might have gone down a fraction, but it is hard to tell. The eye is still cloudy.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

2. jay0705

jay0705 Administrator Staff Member

With pop eye not really. It usually will go away if water is in good shape

3. silverado61

silverado61 Well-Known Member

And a good healthy diet helps.

4. The LFS told me that the mysis mix I am using is formulated for angels. I also supplement that with bloodworms, the herbivore mix I feed the tangs, a frozen seaweed mix, Seachem Vitality with added fresh garlic, and Omega One marine flakes.

Should I be feeding something else, or is this good?

5. lmforbis

lmforbis Administrator Staff Member

A variety of frozen foods. I’d avoid blood worms and stick to marine fish foods. I like emerald entre and other similar omnivor foods. I mix it up with different foods on different days. I do offer pellets maybe once a week just so they’ll eat them if I have to leave their care in somebody else’s hands.
    Dwarf angels, like coral beauties, have different diet requirements from large angels. Angel foods are formulated for large angels. Dwarfs eat a lot of vedgitable matter. My flame eats just as much of the seaweed sheets as my tang.

6. Ok. That's good to know. I'll increase the veg supplementation and cut out the bloodworms. The mix I feed the tangs is an omnivore mix, it just includes a bit extra veg matter. So that, with the mysis, should be good. I forget the name of the frozen veg food I use. I also supplement the tang tanks with Formula 2, so that might be a good snack for the CB from time to time. I'll also throw a different, high quality omnivore mix into the menu, along with some dried seaweed sheets, for variety.

Thanks!

7. silverado61

If they're eating good I'd ditch the garlic. Garlic is meant to help encourage eating. Long term use will result in internal medical issues down the road.

8. Also good to know. It seems like everyone pushes garlic, but I haven't seen much in the way of actual research on it. I know the fad developed out of a study that found it useful in treating internal parasites. It kind of spread to more general use from there. I have been using it as a general 'boost the immune system" supplement because I figured it wouldn't hurt, but if it could be harmful, I don't want to use it all the time.

9. silverado61

I think kidney failure is the real biggie when it comes to over using garlic.