Porcupine puffer is sick?

Salty13

Today when I fed my fish I noticed my porcupine puffer wasn’t eating at all and he wasn’t really swimming he was just kinda floating around and going in front of my powerhead and just kinda floating through that too. I have 2 clownfish, 2 damsals, and a sand sifting gobie and they all ate fine and looked fine. It’s a 55 gallon tank and we don’t use a sump filter we have a canister filter so I try not to feed the fish too much for less waste in the tank. My puffer eyes also seen clear they usually have little dots in them and I’m beginning to worry what should I do?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are your water readings--ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, salinity, temp? Is this a new fish to your system? What and how often are you feeding?

Salty13

What are your water readings--ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, salinity, temp? Is this a new fish to your system? What and how often are you feeding?
The salinity was 0.24 I believe, ph was around 8.1 8.2, i believe my temp is at 70 or 75, I’m not really sure how to check those other things I am new to this hobby. The newest fish were the clownfish but they been in there about a month now. And I feed all of my fish dried krill and shrimp, I only feed them once a day, I try not to over feed due to our filter

beth

Administrator
Staff member
0.24, I'm sure you are mistaken about that. Perhaps 1.024? What do you use to measure salinity?

It is important to be able to assess your water quality exactly and frequently and know what it means before acquiring live marine animals, otherwise you really can't take care of your system nor the animals in them. I'll suggest that you get a very good reference book which is ideal for beginners. "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" written by Bob Fenner.
https://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-Microcosm-Professional/dp/1890087998

A 55 is way too small for a porcupine. The food choices also need to expand to include nutritious choices. For a puffer, that will include hard shelled items in order to keep their front teeth from growing into their head (a fatal condition).

Do you have live rock in your system? Are you using other pumps? A skimmer?

Salty13

Yes I’m sorry it was 1.024. I know a 55 was small but my puffer was still a baby so I was waiting till it got bigger to upgrade but we do have a live rock and we don’t have other pumps or skimmer.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You need to get water testing kits to check your water. I'll give you a link to what is sold here so you can see what is needed. Many brands. You should be able to pick these up at your local fish store, but be sure to get kits that are appropriate for saltwater. Your tank is not getting enough water circulation going with just your canister. You need to ensure that there is gentle water circulation of water throught the system, including water movement at the top, the bottom, and throughout.
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/category-aquarium-supplies_test_kits

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. I would suggest putting somewhere were the the tank is not getting circulation. I'm assuming the outlet for the canister is near the top.