Powerhead Question

ladd

I have a 75gl tank, with about 64 gallons of water. The sump turns 350 gallons per hour, which means the tank is turned 5.46 times per hour. I was wanting to put a powerhead in, burried under the rocks to create additional currents (on a timer). Good idea, bad idea, and why?

sixth man

powerheads are vital to a salt tank, absolutely. you should always help to keep good water flow in your tank to promote good gas exchange. a powerhead should be placed near the surface as well to keep the surface agitated. you can also place one near the bottom either on the same or opposite side to keep the flow of the water in the same direction. just make sure you don't disturb the fish in your tank. too much flow may cause them to become stressed. they probably will love it though. make sure you allow the fish and inverts in your tank a place to go in the tank where they can get away from the flow of water, i can't imagine how tough it must be to sleep in a wind storm.

ladd

I put one in towards the bottom and plan to add a second near the top. I put it on a timer to simulate tide movement. It is set to come on in the morning and evening, for 2 hours each time. Is this sufficient?

the rock

the rock says....
could leave them on longer certainly, 2 hours ain't much, see what the fish and corals decide they like