powerhead recommendations

iidylii

hey guys...my dad has a 125 gallon tank and is having some algae issues and wants to make sure he has the proper flow...he currently has two of them set up on each end of the tank...I have no idea what size they are I will have to look when Im there later today...

anyways what would you recommend for powerhead sizes, placements, and how many?

iidylii

or should he just get a bigger/stronger return pump and just use that as flow? Maybe both? His current return pump is pretty small and a pretty weak flow coming into the tank which is why he was wondering about powerheads...but like I said maybe an upgrade in both areas?

jay0705

Both isn't a bad idea, but for a 6ft tank you want big heads or a couple of mid sized. The rating on the box is usually a good guide

one-fish

I have two 800gph in my 55 gal one each side ....thinking of adding a smaller one to help flow near the bottom of the water column without stirring up the sand bed. Every WC I change the direction of the power heads

iidylii

thanks guys...just was in chat with one of the guys from bulk reef supply and he recommended (2) 2000-3000gph powerheads and a return pump of 900-1200gph...my dad has no corals either so I imagine he can just go with the minimum 2000...

and as im looking through power heads online...to me isn't 2000gph the same whether its $10 or $1000 lol I mean I realize you get what you pay for but come on that's kind of a ridiculous spread

one-fish

Got the same results when I looked inline Did buy a Jeabo return pump 1500 gph like it.. it's 10 speed so you can adjust flow.. way to big for my tank running on 1st speed. Good pumps but when it breaks and they will almost impossible to find replacement parts locally. My Powerheads are the cheap ones like you said 2000 is 2000

jay0705

Only "issue" with cheap ones is some have a rep for electric discharge in the tank. I use hydor and ive had issues rt after putting them in with fish deaths. 2 diff times. Literally day after there in. After that no issues at all. Only thing that changed was the powerhead.

lmforbis

I have 2 800 gph powerheads on the back wall and 2 1200 gph wavemakers, one on each end of my 125. My power heads are super cheap. Been running them for around 3 years and have never had a problem. The wave makers are a bit touchier.

iidylii

well we ended up ordering 2 3200's so we will see how that goes..and he will just use his current ones on the back wall like you said forbis...thanks for the help guys

one-fish

That reminded me to test for stay induced voltage. Remember to use all electrical powered devises on GFIC outlets

hey guys...my dad has a 125 gallon tank and is having some algae issues and wants to make sure he has the proper flow...he currently has two of them set up on each end of the tank...I have no idea what size they are I will have to look when Im there later today...

anyways what would you recommend for powerhead sizes, placements, and how many?
Hi Iidylii,
Very nice tank on the picture :)
What corals do you have?

Did you find the answer for your question?

Zhenya