Protein skimmer and return pump sizes

pfcbizz

I'm putting together a new build a 180 gallon drill acrylic which will have a sump/ refug in the bottom so I'm looking for advise on the sizes of protein skimmer and return pump to get the best water flow ?

florida joe

Just my own. 02

I think hobbyists get too hung up on turnover rate. I am speaking in reference to a reef tank. IMO what is much more important is water motion. Many people strive for a 10 time turnover rate with their return pump. Failing to realize that number diminishes quickly as your filter material gets dirty. With water motion via powerheads you can achieve laminar and turbulence flow within the tank that is essential for a thriving reef tank. As far as a protein skimmer I like the AquaC EV-180 Protein Skimmer. BUT you have to supply your own pump

lmforbis

I use a quiet one pro 5000 return pump in my 125. It is ~1400 gph and the max head height is around 11 feet. I have 2 returns. It isn't the strongest pump I could use but it provides all the flow I need. Any more and my sump looks like a river. I don't want water flowing through my fuge really fast.

2quills

I use a Water Blaster 5000 on my 120g system but I've seen people using them on upto 240g systems. it's a 1300gph pump that I estimate is pushing around 700-800gph through my sump. Dead silent and no issues so far for 3 years.

Also pretty happy with my Skimz cone sk201 skimmer which could handle a 180g system. I think they are selling slightly different models now.

I divided my sump chambers a little different than most. Skimmer chamber on the left, fuge on the right and they both drain into the middle (return) chamber. this allowed me to cut the return flow in half traveling through each section. And I didn't want all of the highly oxygenated water from my skimmer traveling through the fuge which is less ideal for algae growth.

You doing a internal or external skimmer and pump?

pfcbizz

I use a Water Blaster 5000 on my 120g system but I've seen people using them on upto 240g systems. it's a 1300gph pump that I estimate is pushing around 700-800gph through my sump. Dead silent and no issues so far for 3 years.

Also pretty happy with my Skimz cone sk201 skimmer which could handle a 180g system. I think they are selling slightly different models now.

I divided my sump chambers a little different than most. Skimmer chamber on the left, fuge on the right and they both drain into the middle (return) chamber. this allowed me to cut the return flow in half traveling through each section. And I didn't want all of the highly oxygenated water from my skimmer traveling through the fuge which is less ideal for algae growth.

You doing a internal or external skimmer and pump?
the way you have your sump/ refug setup sounds nice I might try your way and I'll have the skimmer and pump in the internal