Protein Skimmer Maintenance

Kunal Patel

Hi

I just upgraded my protein skimmer from a Sea Clone to Reef Octopus HOB. I wanted to know how to maintain my skimmer. what I currently do is empty the collection cup and clean it with soap and water. I am not sure if this is the right way to clean it because I know there also a break in period for skimmer. Would it have to break in again when I clean it this way. Is it best to just empty the collection cup and place it back into the skimmer?

Thank You
Kunal Patel

lmforbis

I have both a hob and in sump reef octopus. So far I just wash the cup out with hot water. You don't want to use soap on anything for your tank. You can use vinegar to clean things. It is good foe calcium deposits and coralline algae.

McFraembs

For my Vertex "in-sump" I found that by leaving the skimmer running while I remove the collection cup is ideal. I get much less swing in the bubble elevation when re-installed. This probably won't work for an HOB style unfortunately due to overflowing water.

I have also found that picking up a large bristle brush that cleans drinking cups that people typically use while doing dishes with a sponge on the bottom is ideal. Just make sure not to use it for dishes! haha

florida joe

Just a side note. With some medications when you are treating your DJ they suggest you stop protein skimming and increases oxygenation. A simple method is to remove your collection cup and continue to run your skimmer

Last edited: