Purple up....

Anyone use it is it bad, i got some mushrooms today and they said to use purple up to keep them healthy...want to hear all the different opinions on it...thanks

J

jrthomas40

i have used it but not for mushrooms only to get more coraline......it works well for that but i wouldnt use it to often

newbfish

hey I just started using purple up also, but only on my nano tank that I'm cycling.
I was told from my LFS that only use it during cycling

leeleeah

I've heard you should never add anything to your tank that you can't test for. Purple up is one of them.

W

weatherby

My understanding of Purple Up's purpose is to promote coralline algae growth. It's calcium. If you're using a source of water high in calcium already, ie treated city water, then it'll spike your calc levels. I was told to use it, but only in very small doses rather than the huge doses recommended on the bottle. (Like a couple drops in a 55g tank). Of course I was also told that if you plan on trying to grow coralline prior to putting the live rock in a DT, then you could put the rock in a storage tub with a heater and power head and then heavy dose purple up and cover the bin with some blue moon fluorescent bulbs and that should grow some great coralline algae. Of course that depends on if you have some rock with some good coralline growth to begin with, if so, then that will seed the rest of the live rock and the blue moon bulbs will grown tons of the stuff... So I'm told... This comes from GARF mostly though I know local people who've tried it and had good results...

big

leeleeah;2470955 said:
I've heard you should never add anything to your tank that you can't test for. Purple up is one of them.
[/QUOTE
Yep dosing is a no-no unless needed and you know what it is. But with Purple Up I think it is just a expensive way to add calcium........ How many old times do you think use it?? Heck I want to get rid of the stuff, I really get tired of scrapping the stuff.

i just started useing purple up about 3weeks ago to help get my coraline back. after about a week and a half of useing i noticed that my mushroom were looking better then i have seen them in a while so i guess the purple up is good for them. but like weatherby said keep a eye on you calcium levels.

Originally Posted by michaelf1478
http:///forum/post/2470971
i just started useing purple up about 3weeks ago to help get my coraline back. after about a week and a half of useing i noticed that my mushroom were looking better then i have seen them in a while so i guess the purple up is good for them. but like weatherby said keep a eye on you calcium levels.
Did you follow the directions on the back or did you get other advice??

i followed the bottle for the first week the when week two came i added every other day.but i havent added calcium in a long time so the calcium levels were probably very low.

S

swalchemist

Actually you can test for it, Purple Up is a good Ca additive as well as a Alk Buffer which works quite well but you must test before and during use as it is easy to overdose and you don't want that. If you want fast coraline alge growth Purple Up can indeed help.

tangwhispr

Originally Posted by hotjeepinmomma
http:///forum/post/2470915
Anyone use it is it bad, i got some mushrooms today and they said to use purple up to keep them healthy...want to hear all the different opinions on it...thanks

Originally Posted by NewbFish

http:///forum/post/2470953
hey I just started using purple up also, but only on my nano tank that I'm cycling.
I was told from my LFS that only use it during cycling
Both wrong...you shouldn't need to add it...normal water changes replenish your CA. If you want to add CA use a 2 part.