Pygmy wasp fish

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by jay0705, May 18, 2017.

1. jay0705

jay0705 Administrator Staff Member

Anyone ever keep these? I've gone back and forth with one.

2. iidylii

iidylii Active Member

I have not but I think they are bad ass! I know...very helpful lol

3. jay0705

Have you seen them on DD? Last few weeks very common. My issue is what tank? I'd like one for my new tank but my clown goby wouldn't lol

4. lmforbis

lmforbis Administrator Staff Member

Check out Lionfish lair. She may have some info. I believe they are not good in tanks with really active fish. I'd say smaller fish as tank mates. Maybe species only with another wasp.
    I see them all the time on DD. Someday I'll set up a small tank like a bio cube just for that. No real time now. Might be a good winter project for me.

5. iidylii

iidylii Active Member

Yeah I've seen them on DD....hard to find any facts on them though

6. jay0705

I was thinking maybe w my dwarf lion

7. lmforbis

lmforbis Administrator Staff Member

Not sure. I'd go to reef to reef and do a search. The lady, Lionfish Lair is very knowledgeable about venomous fish. She keeps all kinds of them.

jay0705 likes this.
  8. 2quills

2quills Administrator Staff Member

Agreed, her (Rene) and her husband used to be regulars here. They were a wealth of info. Cool fish.

gkat66 likes this.
  9. jay0705

I thought the name sounded familiar

10. gkat66

gkat66 New Member

I've had two ,a male and female pair. They were kept with a Royal Gramma , pair of sharpnose gobies , and an Azure damsel. I do not recommend trying to keep them with small ornamental shrimp. They are very docile fish and like to perch on rocks and macro algae.

11. gkat66

gkat66 New Member

Found the pics wasp1.jpg wasp2.jpg

12. gkat66

gkat66 New Member

Top pic is female , bottom pic male.

13. gkat66

gkat66 New Member

As far as keeping them with dwarf lions , IMHO it would be very risky. I kept mine in my peaceful tank because they could not compete for food with lions and may end up as being lunch themselves. They would be fine with leaf fish and other small mouthed scorps.

14. jay0705

Ah very good they are smaller then i thought. Maybe with my black clown then

gkat66 likes this.