Question

dallas

I have been cycling my 55 gallon tank for about 2 weeks now. I have wet/dry filtration w/protein skimmer, 2 powerheads,etc. I have crushed coral substrate(2-3 in.) and about 30 pounds of rock(not live). I am cycling the tank with clownfish. In the past few days I have developed brownish-gold algae on the substrate and rock. It is not growing on the aquarium itself and is not OVERWHELMING the tank but is rather abundant. The books I have say that this is good. I was wondering if I should purchase some small hermit crabs to help control this or if I should wait until the tank is completely cycled. I DO eventually want some small hermits but I don't want to get them if they are going to die through the cycling process. Im basically wondering if this algae is OK as the book states and if I should wait on purchasing the hermit crabs. Thanks in advance for the responses, your thoughts are appreciated.

jess

How long are you leaving your lights on. I was getting the same thing on my gravel bed when I was leaving the lights on for 10 hours. Now I leave my lights on for only 8-9 hours and I don't have that problem.

ladd

The brown algae is a sign that your tank is ending the cycling process. It should go away (but may get worse before it does). Yes, you should buy some snails, hermits, shrimp ect.. Look at the "Package Deals" on this web site. Buy more than you need. I highly recommend it. They will take care of the algae problem, they are fun to watch, the price is great (try to get all that at your local store), and they ship to your door.

the rock

the rock says...
Ladd is absolutely correct, brown will bloom and then subside and then youwill get green, inverts are a great way to keep your algae under control and have fun watching the inverts eating and running around